TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 z-bed issues
wuzmop Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:48 am

I hope I can describe my question(s) so it can be understood...

I have a 67. The zbed hinges are comprised of a sheet metal box on either side of the base, with two arms that slide up to put it in the bed position. Seperate from that, it has a hinge in the rear of each corner of the seat. It is, however, missing the two pieces that go from the rear seat corners to the deck surface to allow the bed to lay flat and sturdy. Are these a seperate piece that I might could try to find? It doesn't look like anything is broken off.

I have later one piece hinges that are to wide since the seat base was not designed for these. The base goes all the way to the cabinet, rather than that side being inset about an inch.

Could I cut these parts from my later hinges and mount them somehow?

Clara Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:22 am

AFAIK the splitty Z beds did not come with the arms you descibe. Instead there are V shaped... hm
like _/\_ shaped pieces of metal which were rivited to the slant of the engine hump near the top. the back of the bench sets on them when it is turned into a bed, so it won't sag down.

this is what they did.. but the pieces get bent or knocked off and dissappeared. you can make some and screw them on. ( don't use long screw which could puncture the gas tank. )
it basically is a sucky system, IMO, and the later westy bed/seat is an improved version. At some time I may try to transplant a later mechanism into my 65 westy, while keeping the OG face. Vintage nazis can sleep on an uncomfortable bed if they disapprove.
The later westy bed/bench with the arms you mention in my 61 is comfier, so oddlyenough my 61 deluxe is in that way a nicer camper than my camper :shock:

wuzmop Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:41 am

Thanks Clara,

So if I use the part I described from my later brakets as a template for the position of the V, etc, I just mount them to the bus and they do not actually mount to the seat?

Clara Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:05 am

wuzmop wrote: Thanks Clara,

So if I use the part I described from my later brakets as a template for the position of the V, etc, I just mount them to the bus and they do not actually mount to the seat?
right. just place them so the bed lies flat when the backrest leans on them. I'd think there would be rivit holes there already... if your bus was originally a westy

wuzmop Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:27 am

It's not an original westy. But thanks a ton. This is the last thing I need to take care of before the 8 hour drive to the Eureka Springs show at the end of the month.