TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: what can the experts tell me?
6D2 Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:23 pm

ok I went to see the 66 split I am wanting to buy. some dumb A$$ thought 80's shag carpet would make a better interior. so that is shot out... there is some rust but it is 38 yrs old... I have been reading about M-codes.. but the plate it is on was not where I thought it would be(behind the right side seat). it was mounted above the right side windshield. here is a pic of it.. I can't make heads or tails out of it.. thanks to whoever can help me out.. I would like to restore it back to original.

jerry.t Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:35 pm

your m-code plate shouls be behind the right seat back. the pic you
posted is the vin, which i ould say is on your air vent! and ont tell
you the m-codes....

BUCIOBATISTI Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:38 pm

All that tag tells you is that you have a '66 Model 23 which is a left hand drive/right side cargo door Kombi. I can further tell you that it is a 6 popout model. I'd toss those scoops and spare tire holder in the trash first, mount an original emblem second, and then go from there. It would have originally been a single color Bus, not two toned like it is now.

6D2 Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:54 pm

well the m-code is gone forever. the A$$ that it 3 people ago, must have cut it out for reasons unknow.. and removed the bench seat. and put some buckets out of another old vdub. anyway the interior is the biggest project on the list( I think). thanks for the info and so quickly... do you think the bottem color is the original color? and what color on the color chart would that be?

BUCIOBATISTI Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:58 pm

That is not the original color. You can check inside of the gas tank door or inside the engine compartment and those may give you better luck in determining the original color without much effort. Next would be pulling out one of the headlights and looking for any grease pencil markings inside the buckets.

6D2 Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:02 pm

ok cool. now I am new to the older buses.. knowing now that it is a kombi can I do a full interior like the ones Bus Boys sells for the Standards? and did the Kombis come with swivelseats? where can that be found? more then likly a swap meet im sure.. thanks for all the help

ok then do you think 4k is too much for this bus? it runs good the two times I drove it. and it has some rust. I have pics of that.

jerry.t Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:06 pm

Ravingmad66 wrote: ok cool. now I am new to the older buses.. knowing now that it is a kombi can I do a full interior like the ones Bus Boys sells for the Standards? and did the Kombis come with swivelseats? where can that be found? more then likly a swap meet im sure.. thanks for all the help

ok then do you think 4k is too much for this bus? it runs good the two times I drove it. and it has some rust. I have pics of that.

just ask lind, i here he has so many of them seats that he is running out busses to put them in. :roll: :twisted:

BUCIOBATISTI Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:17 pm

I personally wouldn't touch the Bus at $4K. It certainly wouldn't be the worst deal at that price but it's hacked, not original in many ways (paint, seats, interior), missing some stuff (emblem, rear bumper overriders, middle seat?, divider wall, front bench, etc.), looks to have a bay window (worthless) rear seat in it, just isn't exciting for any reason. If you could get it for less than $3K, I'd say you could consider it if you like it. I think you have to ask yourself exactly what it is that you want to end up with and go for it. Too many people end up with so-so Buses that they just don't really enjoy.

6D2 Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:42 pm

I would like to end up with a nice clean daily driver that is comfy for the family to cruise in... cruising with style... could the divider wall be reinstalled if I found one?

mskeen Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:30 pm

Ravingmad66 wrote: ok then do you think 4k is too much for this bus? it runs good the two times I drove it. and it has some rust. I have pics of that.

I haven't been in the game long but $4k is way too much for that bus. I got mine for an amount not too far off from what they want for that Kombi.

Do lots of research so you know what to look for and how much it is going for. I spent about 4 months looking for my bus (some people spend a lot longer). I saw a good deal and jumped on it. Just be patient.

obus Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:41 pm

well if you don't find anything by november, you could always hit the bulli brigade and maybe find something there worth your while plus get some tips from "those in the know" since plenty of them will be there! good luck and be patient w/whatever you decide.

Friedpotatoes Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:48 pm

Quote: I personally wouldn't touch the Bus at $4K. It certainly wouldn't be the worst deal at that price but it's hacked, not original in many ways (paint, seats, interior), missing some stuff (emblem, rear bumper overriders, middle seat?, divider wall, front bench, etc.), looks to have a bay window (worthless) rear seat in it, just isn't exciting for any reason. If you could get it for less than $3K, I'd say you could consider it if you like it. I think you have to ask yourself exactly what it is that you want to end up with and go for it. Too many people end up with so-so Buses that they just don't really enjoy.

BLa bla bla whine whine
4k might be a little much $3,400k sounds more like it. These days you have to pay 2k for somthing that runs!. The paint colors arnt that bad there not the best, but heck the bus is two solid colors not missmatched. Ill agree that carpet is a little funky but oh well.
That bay seat is worth it. my bus had a origional back seat and a bay seat. i left the bay one in there cause its by far more comfortable last time i checked my 11yr old cousind dosnt care its not "correct" ( not to mention the correct seat is about $300 and another $200-300 to put padding and covers on them) Buses look alot better IMO without overriders.
My bus had the bulkheads hacked out and other seats put in. yeah it sucks but they work!. emblem you can get a new one cheep. or even put a tire up front. 3/4 of the fun in having a bus is you building it not buying it built!