TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 66 bus turn signal conversion
Ragman Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:32 pm

I got a 66 bus recently, and I don't know old buses for shit. I am going to do a 12 volt conversion. I am most worried about the infamous 9 prong black box.

Can I use a 67-68 bug or bus 9 prong 12 volt blinker box? And do I need another one for a headlight relay?

I tried seaching for information on this topic, but my question was not really answered. I found this long ass thread about making your own relays and stuff. I'd rather try to plug in another set of boxes if possible.

Any other information specific to a 66's electrical system would be appreciated too.

EvilBus Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:39 pm

Yes you can do all of that. Bear in mind you can use any headlight relay
not just a VW. "Volts is Volts" You can also "hybrid" the bus with
components from a bug.

FYI there's a ton of stuff on the http://www.type2.com archive

enjoy.

kavikhahn Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:27 pm

Be sure to go to Vintagebus.com for the color wiring diagram.

I just finished going through the electricals on my '66 deluxe. I put in a 9 prong box from a 67. Worst part was that I had to replace the turn signal switch. First year where the dimmer is located on the T/S switch, so it cost me $75 for a good used one.

Clean all your connections.

Remember to unhook the ground strap at the battery. Then, when you finish a circuit, touch the battery cable to the battery post. If it emits sparks, you have a short.

Clara Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:07 am

kavikhahn wrote: I just finished going through the electricals on my '66 deluxe. I put in a 9 prong box from a 67. Worst part was that I had to replace the turn signal switch. First year where the dimmer is located on the T/S switch, so it cost me $75 for a good used one.
That's odd.. wiring in 66 and & 67 was the same, only the voltage was changed. they came with the same TS switch. (when new, over 35 years ago) 65 was the last year for the dimmer on the floor.

vntgbus Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:51 am

Ragman, get a hold of me I should have all the parts you need inc. wiper motor.