TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: easy narrowing for late model beam
oilspot Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:24 pm

So could I narrow a late model beam the same as a early (micarta bushing) beam if I removed the roller bearings and replaced them withsay... bronze bushings. I can turn the bronze myself (prerks of being a machininst.
If anybody sees a problem with this idea let me know.
I really only want ot take out two inches so I'd like to spend less time cutting etc.

jeremyrockjock Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:21 am

By late model I assume you mean ball joint. The problem with ball joint beams is that the inner bearings are bronze bushings that are epoxied in place and cannot be removed without destroying the beam. The way I do it is take the sections fron the center which mean you will have to make new flanges. I modeled my tutorial after a blal joint beam because taht is what I used on my 59. let me know if you have any other questions.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71084&highlight=tutorial

EvilBus Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:28 am

You can machine out the holes (bushings and all). Drill Press or a big arse
lathe can cut it all out. Then as indicated, remachine new bushings.

If the labor is yours, it's a fun project if you have the tools.

jeremyrockjock Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:26 am

EvilBus wrote: You can machine out the holes (bushings and all). Drill Press or a big arse
lathe can cut it all out. Then as indicated, remachine new bushings.

If the labor is yours, it's a fun project if you have the tools.

If you have a boring bar and lathe that can do that you might as well start with raw tube and build it from scratch.

EvilBus Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:48 am

what and ruin the vintage look??? :lol:

oilspot Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:46 pm

same inner bearings on a say 65' beam?
Been giving serious thought to the fab from scratch idea. Of course that will be project #364