TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '62 Rag on IRS Pan?
veedubyababe Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:25 am

Hello everyone,
I have accquried a sweet completely rust free '62 Ragtop. Since it is just the shell at this point I was wondering if it can go onto a later IRS pan? Are there any modifications that need to be done in order for it to fit on? Thanks for any info!

Hilary :D

keifernet Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:58 am

You have to cut the rear mounts located in the rear wheel area off and weld them back on after the body is mounted to the IRS chassis.

otherwise it will be no problem.

veedubyababe Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:09 pm

I have acess to a shop, welder and someone who is knowledgable in the area. Does anyone know how long it would take to do the cutting/re-welding?
Thanks! :)

-Hilary

keifernet Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:12 pm

veedubyababe wrote: I have acess to a shop, welder and someone who is knowledgable in the area. Does anyone know how long it would take to do the cutting/re-welding?
Thanks! :)

-Hilary

pretty simple task should take less than an hour... although I usually cut the mounts off and don't weld them back on until the body is positioned on the chassis. It is possible to cut and measure accurately and do it.

chillz1 Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:17 pm

You're better off doing it the way Keifernet suggested. That way, there is no possible way you can screw it up. I don't know about you, but I hate having to do things twice.

veedubyababe Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:55 am

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on cutting off the mounts once I got the pan and not re-welding them until I had the body back on, like keifernet and chillz1 suggested. Thanks again! :)