TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vent Wing Latches
DubStyle Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:13 am

So who's making them now? When I was at WW in December they said they stopped because they were breaking. So anyone know were to get good used ones or good repro ones?

TimB Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:55 am

I just bought a black drivers side one at Pomona. It was a repo but the bag did say Wolfsburg West. They may have started the mill again?

DubStyle Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:10 am

I'll give them a call later today.

Lind Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:13 am

if you don't car about originality, you can use bug latches. the sides are reversed, so use a bug drivers side for a bus passenger side, etc.

DubStyle Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:04 am

At this point I'm more concerned with security. :wink: But if I can find some good used ones or repro Bus ones I'll hold out on changing my Vent wing seals.

TeamSpatula Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:07 am

My VWFLAPS had a set in, but I don't know if they kept a steady supply or not. Some shops, especially those that don't sell a lot, may still have a set or two on the shelf.

mskeen Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:17 am

DubStyle,

Let me know if you find a source. I need a driver's side.

Thanks

BeaterBarndoor Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:11 pm

i highly recommend the wolfsburgwest latches. i bought quite a few and they are perfectly identical to originals .they are actually interchangeable .i used some of their bases for pre57 handles i have. prefect! and at about $15 you cant beat it. the only issue with correctness,the "bus" latches are basically beetle handles. they will work as lind said, but not officially bus handles.

DubStyle Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:50 pm

Here's a pic of WW's latch -->

At $12.95 that's not bad and they are in stock plus $5 for a striker plate if you need one.

Friedpotatoes Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:37 pm

i need 2 also. i went to close the vent wing and i pulled the latch a little to hard and pink the latch came with me and not the vent wing :lol:

crofty Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:59 am

Aren't the repro latches a little bigger than the originals? I thought that the "handle" part was thicker than the german ones?

dstefun Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:54 pm

Nice prior thread from April, how soon we forget ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68403

Check out DaveM's post near the bottom, he has a nice vent window jig pictured on his website.

Friedpotatoes Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:06 pm

you could simply cut off that nub or switch the handles

obus Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:40 pm

i think this is what was sent to me as a safari window latch also? can this be true as i have yet to replace the broken one?

paul_f Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:57 am

If you cut off the nub it won't latch tight enough.

Measure from where the split pin goes to the nub on both - you will be surprised as there is not a lot in it.

Paul

Andrew Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:15 pm

paul_f wrote: If you cut off the nub it won't latch tight enough.

Measure from where the split pin goes to the nub on both - you will be surprised as there is not a lot in it.

Paul

He has a point. If you look closely, you can even see it in the pictures.