TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shine some light on me please.
earthmuffin Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:43 pm

I searched and I lost.

I've looked and found some info concerning headlight assy's. I know about the drain holes and the compatability with bugs, but what I am confused about is the trim rings and the bucket assy's.

The adjusting screws on my bus are just above and just below the retaining screw.
But some headligt assy's have the adjusting screws directly across from each other.

Was this a bug/bus difference or a year change?

I know, I'll go find some pics. :roll:

earthmuffin Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:48 pm

Ok, this is what came off, note the positions of the adjusting screws.

but I've also seen headlights with the adjusters like this.

Whats the dif? :-k

SHSC Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:59 pm

The only diff I know of, is that the ones that came off your bus I believe are a lot easier to adjust. They are a "solid" mount sort of thing.

And I believe the ones on the yellow bus have a rubber grommet that a "arrow" goes through. And then that rubber grommet dries out and becomes plastic and cracks.

Other than that, I am afraid I am of no help.

ratpanel61 Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:30 pm

The ones on the top are for a bug, the ones on the bottom are for a bus. You can tell the bug ones because the screws are across from each other, the bus ones are sorta catty cornered. They did that because of the different orientations: bug up and down and bus sideways.

KombiMonster Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:30 pm

My '61 is has the first ones you posted...Maybe the diagonal ones are later...I think my bug has the diagonal ones...Now I'm curious too...

KombiMonster Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:31 pm

ratpanel61 wrote: The ones on the top are for a bug, the ones on the bottom are for a bus. You can tell the bug ones because the screws are across from each other, the bus ones are sorta catty cornered. They did that because of the different orientations: bug up and down and bus sideways.

so how do you explain the drain hole on the bottom..if it was on a bug it would be on the side then..

earthmuffin Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:40 pm

I've been looking and I've found both kinds on both vehicles, no rhyme or reason, but......I have noticed that the earlier cars are bent towards having the adjuster screws like the first picture (on either side of the retaining clip.)

A query indeed.

JDV Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:13 pm

T he headlights with the adjustment screws at 5 and 7 oclock, considering the mounting tab as 6 oclock, are considered early and the headlights with the adjustment screws that are diagonal across the ring are later. The pair on my 58 are the correct early style with the corresponding drain hole on the side of the ring. The buckets indicate a bus part number: 211.941.037A, and I think the other one is: 211.941.038A. I am pretty sure that these are a correct left/right pair. Somewhere on the Vintagebus.com website there are some tables you could use to decifer the year. I bet somebody with one of those progressive refinements manuals could stick the dates for the earlier headlights.

Mr Mike Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:15 pm

Hey, I might be wrong but I believe the top lights in your photos
are for 1963 and earlier busses. The bottom photo lights are
64 and later busses. Check your BENTLEY manual for 63 to 67 transporters section E-11 page 2 & 3
Also bug lights I'm told won't have drain holes in the chrome ring.
I guess they didn't need them. Bus lights will which make 'em
left and right units

ratpanel61 Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:02 am

Maybe I was wrong. Sorry it I gave you bum info. You could always pop them out and see if the part number starts with a 1 or a 2 and then it would be easy to tell.

Friedpotatoes Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:02 pm

im just going with bugs. on alot if not all early bugs they will have the adjusters on the buttom.

I like that style (4 and 8 oclock) better then the other (2 and 8 oclock) to me its just a personal prefrence. not to mention the 4 and 8 are alot easyer to put together.