TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: which bus should i drive? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
UZI Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:21 pm

i'll let the people decide. here's the deal....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=86640
the king panel is in my garage. off the road since 1966. brakes are done except for bleeding and adjusting thanks to me and rusbus. i got a new gas tank thanks to rustypanel and i have a fairly fresh 1500 that is ready to go in. i'll finish it up when i get back from vacation in early november if it wins the poll. it's about 1100 miles from philly to tampa one way. same distance back home of course.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=85142
the jurassic '53 is at the butchershop. big baby JIHAD gets all the credit here. i drove this bus around LA back in june in it's former state of "stock". it's now slammed with a 6" narrowed beam and a tweaked 2 liter that JIHAD is assembling. it's about 2500 miles from LA to tampa, then 1100 more back home.

so you guys decide. you pick the bus, i'll drive it.

please, anyone, post pictures of these buses in this thread. i can't do it on my computer, only links. thanks.

doubledoor64 Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:27 pm

i say the BD hasn't it been waiting for you to drive it longer than the king panel? it deserves that drive and besides rolling to the BB in BD is pimp status...

BryanM Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:28 pm

I vote King panel.
While the 53 is certianly fresh in every aspect, it has beaten the street and basked in glory recently.
The King has slept in neglect for 38 years waiting for a caring hand to resurect it. What better tribute to its highness than to make its maiden road trip to the pimpest gathering of split window type 2s?
All hail the King!

BryanM Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:31 pm

Andrew Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:52 pm

damn, dude, thought you knew... Buses suck ass. That's why I just traded mine straight up for a phat Pinto! 8)

obus Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:30 pm

i voted king panel for the same reason as "singlesquared"

TeamSpatula Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:50 am

I would vote for the Barndoor, since you get more vacation out of it...Gotta drive it cross country anyway to get it back home, so you might as well bring it to the show...you'll also most likely pick up the long distance award...

SHSC Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:51 am

You probably don't care what I say, but..., I think that driving the King panel would be a better "trick, adventure, thing to do, etc, etc".

Like Brian said, King has been off the road for more years than most of the people at BB have been on it.

It would be kool to see Jurassic 53 beside DB3's kombi.

krusher Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:07 am

Hi Gibbs if you have a new 2L motor in the 53 then a 2300 mile freeway cruise is the worst possible way to run the engine in, you need to do alot of gental accelerating and off throttle no brakes deceleration you bed both sides of the rings in for the first 500 miles. NO full throttle.

I vote for the king panel it needs to see the road again. :D

UZI Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:26 am

keith, i think bigbabyJIHAD will be driving it around slam gabriel for a while.

thanks krusher and singlequared for posting the pictures.

iamdonquixote Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:57 am

slammed barndoors = played out

logo'ed buses = played out

better to fly and rent (maybe you can get one of them scions)

rizzag Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:20 am

the BD.

UZI Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:22 am

here are some other considerations. the cross country trip in the jurassic 53 would mean meeting up with skim and onepercenter on the I-10 (maybe I-20) somewhere. we would then roll deep for the last 1100 miles. the first 1400 would be thru the southwest which would be awesome. the bus would be basically empty except for some stuff i gathered up at west coast shows.

with the king, i could load it up with all my swap meet stuff which i have plenty of. i didn't swap at a single show this summer. bullibrigade and bugjam are really strong swap venues for both buying and selling.

SHSC, your opinion does matter, hopefully you're going to BBXI and we'll meet up. people are rarely what they come across as online.

DaveM Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:31 am

UZI wrote: here are some other considerations. the cross country trip <snip> swap meet stuff which i have plenty of<snip>

You're getting closer to answering this yourself... which do you need? A vacation trip and nice scenery or some swap time?

jeremyrockjock Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:36 am

precious_ponies wrote: slammed barndoors = played out

LOL Yeah Gibbs, buy a scion..... j/k

Bart Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:43 am

Who voted rental car?

I want to change my vote to the king panel from the the bd.

OG Velvet Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:32 am

Tough choice. I voted for the BD.

UZI Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:41 am

jeremyrockjock wrote: precious_ponies wrote: slammed barndoors = played out

LOL Yeah Gibbs, buy a scion..... j/k

that's an early '04 scion with a single passenger side bullet turn signal. way rare!

splitpile Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:20 pm

The BD, it needs to leave the west coast for some east coast action, besides BD's are played out, like the saying played out, on the west coast

volksfahrer.nl Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:42 pm

BD Gibbs!
Not a tough choice, it's the only right one!