TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: '64 21 Window Manual needed in the Samba manual archives...
DINK Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:27 am

Please... please... please!!!!

All those great refernces out there but I need information for my 1964 21 Window.

Any chance someone has the book, the know how and the initiative to help a brother out?

I've got way too many mysteries to figure out. I have a manual but it is so brittle that it can't be used. I hate to trash it trying to find answers to all my stupid questions.

Thanks
Gracias
Obrigado
Dzienkuje
Danka
Merci

ToolBox Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:57 am

Or just put your questions here and get the answers.

EverettB Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:43 am

The owner's manual?

You can refer to the other ones posted there for your "easy" questions. The answers are probably the same.

Or make a big list and post all the questions here. If they are easy, i can answer them. 8)

Lind Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:10 pm

how about you shell out $25-$50 and buy a nice manual for your bus. they show up on ebay fairly often. there is quite a bit that isn't covered in the manual, then, come here and search first, then ask away.

DINK Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:28 am

I don't do the e-bay thing. I'm too laid back / lazy / busy to actively participate in an auction.

I've yet to see a manual for a 21 Window in good shape for anywhere close to 25 to 50 dollars.

Some of the little questions I have seem almost too trivial for this posse. One example would be: The little lever on the lock for the cargo doors is a mystery to me. What position should it be in to remain unlocked? I'm almost ashamed to ask such things but have no real resources to call upon here in Noothervedubyaland.

krusher Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:49 am

DINK wrote: I don't do the e-bay thing. I'm too laid back / lazy / busy to actively participate in an auction.

I've yet to see a manual for a 21 Window in good shape for anywhere close to 25 to 50 dollars.

Some of the little questions I have seem almost too trivial for this posse. One example would be: The little lever on the lock for the cargo doors is a mystery to me. What position should it be in to remain unlocked? I'm almost ashamed to ask such things but have no real resources to call upon here in Noothervedubyaland.

cant you just work that out your self buy trial and error, if youcant do that I wil be surprised if you can drive. :?

Lind Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:16 am

DINK wrote: I don't do the e-bay thing. I'm too laid back / lazy / busy to actively participate in an auction.

I have bougth some really nice manuals on ebay in that price range. if you want to complain about higher prices, but are unwilling to go where I tell you that the lower prices are, please don't be offended when I don't waste my time scanning one of the nice manuals that I bought off of ebay for $25.

Clara Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:52 am

DINK wrote: Some of the little questions I have seem almost too trivial for this posse. One example would be: The little lever on the lock for the cargo doors is a mystery to me. What position should it be in to remain unlocked? I'm almost ashamed to ask such things but have no real resources to call upon here in Noothervedubyaland.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/manuals65bus.php

is a 65 manual... the cargo door lock is the same I'd think. to lock the door, pull the handle to the all the way closed position, then flip the lever 90*. does the handle turn now? if no... it's locked. voila!!!!!!!!!!
Do you have a copy of Muir's 'idiot' book, and a copy of the 63 transporter workshop manual reprinted by bentley? lotsa info there.

Major Woody Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:22 pm

Ebay takes no time at all. Find your manual, decide how much is the most you will pay, sign up for FREE with Auctionstealer.com, enter the item number and the most you will pay, and it will bid for you in the last ten seconds of the auction. You'll get an email at the end telling you how things went. If you don't end up winning the auction, big deal--you weren't willing to pay that much anyway.

There are plenty of good reasons not to like ebay but that sure as hell isn't one of them.

People come here to help others. Just post your questions. You're catching more flak for NOT posting them.

Transporter Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:04 pm

some self promotion.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=97340

I'm open to offers. I might even have an '64 manual in my unorganized piles of crap at my house.

DINK Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:27 pm

Where's the love my brothers? Living here in a VW vacuum, I've looked to the Samba many times for answers. Never seen so many bile-like responses to such an innocent request. It's not like I'm tubbing the 21 window or putting a 327 in it. I was just looking for some insight.

The door lock was an example of the trivial things I could use a legible manual for.

As far as the driving skills reference, I've got pretty much every license imaginable this side of a pilot's license including SCCA, IJSBA, and APBA professional licenses from my younger days. Grew older; slowed down a bit.

Mr. Transporter, I'll take a '64 manual if you have one for that price. If the '65 manual is very, very similar, I guess I could take that.

One final note, my eyesight is failing fast; I don't have the luxury of being able to thumb through the idiot book ( although I have one ) or a Bentley manual. A computer is pretty much all I can see because of the back lighting and the enhanced contrast.

I may have to try that e-Bay thing. Maybe it's less hostile.

Lind Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:33 pm

DINK wrote: Where's the love my brothers? Living here in a VW vacuum, I've looked to the Samba many times for answers. Never seen so many bile-like responses to such an innocent request. It's not like I'm tubbing the 21 window or putting a 327 in it. I was just looking for some insight.

I may have to try that e-Bay thing. Maybe it's less hostile.

let me see, you are too lazy to do the ebay thing, so you would like us to do it and spend our money buying the stuff, then spend our time scanning it for you. please excuse me, I'm feeling a little too laid back / lazy / busy here.

DINK Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:46 pm

Lind,

I see you're from Idaho. Maybe all the time I spent fighting forest fires up there would have been better spent fiddling around on e-Bay.

Any chance you're benefitted from the busses and light green trucks full of us yellow shirted, "lazy" people?

It's too bad you can't douse a wildland fire with bile. You could have handled it yourself.

Lind Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:07 pm

DINK wrote: Lind,

I see you're from Idaho. Maybe all the time I spent fighting forest fires up there would have been better spent fiddling around on e-Bay.

Any chance you're benefitted from the busses and light green trucks full of us yellow shirted, "lazy" people?

It's too bad you can't douse a wildland fire with bile. You could have handled it yourself.

you are the one who said you were lazy. sorry if I properly quoted you. I made a suggestion on how you could help yourself and easily get the manual that you need, but aparently you would rather that someone else does the work for you.

and as far as the firefighting thing goes, why don't you do a little internet search on my last name - bjornsen and bifc or nifc (national interagency fire center, formerly boise interagency fire center)

DINK Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:29 pm

Surely we must have crossed paths over the years...

I was the guy in the yellow shirt and green pants carrying the Pulaski tool.

Remember? :)

Lind Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:50 pm

DINK wrote: Surely we must have crossed paths over the years...

I was the guy in the yellow shirt and green pants carrying the Pulaski tool.

Remember? :)

LOL yeah, ten years ago to the day, I was the guy running a camp crew on the thunderbolt fire in the boise national fire. twenty years before that, my grandfather (and namesake) was the one of the guys starting the bifc. although my experience is limited, I am familliar with fire control.

I don't mean to come across harsh here, but sometimes I do. I would suggest getting a manual for your bus. they are great reading and packed with useful information. the one with the 21 window on the cover is my favorite. the cheapest place that I have found on the internet to buy one is ebay. people like to trash on ebay, but there are good deals to be found there. it does take a little while to find one. they show up here on thesamba also. you will find that there are plenty of questions that you will have that are not covered in the owners manual or in your repair manual. when you run across those problems, post them here and plenty of people, myself included, will be happy to help.

DINK Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:07 am

Was that near McAll (sp)? If so, I was there towards the end. We were the last crew out.

Lind Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:15 am

DINK wrote: Was that near McAll (sp)? If so, I was there towards the end. We were the last crew out.

stolle meadows at first and then landmark airstrip near the end. 30 or so miles south and 20 or so miles east of McCall. I had my '61 bus up there. remember a mango green /seagull grey bus?

DINK Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:29 am

All I remember is that federal light green on crew cab Chevies and Hot Shot vehicles and yellow school buses.

Every time I piled into or out of one of those trucks "Like A Rock" kept running through my head.

I need to shed the belly and get back out there.