TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: what is the switch on the stearing colum Page: 1, 2  Next
tjsuckerpunch Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:36 am

Just curious, i can figure it out. A little flip switch on the side of teh speedo housing

zimblewinder Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:38 am

interior lights

DINK Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:06 am

Ah-h-h-h, man!!!!

I knew this one even without a manual for reference or a functional interior light (yet).

Rarely do I have an answer... only questions. :wink:

krusher Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:08 am

DINK wrote: Ah-h-h-h, man!!!!

I knew this one even without a manual for reference or a functional interior light (yet).

Soon gresshopper :D

DubStyle Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:17 am

I was going to say it's for the smoke screen escape. :? Guess I was wrong. :P

6D2 Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:27 am

DINK wrote: Ah-h-h-h, man!!!!

I feel your pain DINK! I too only have questions as of now, and I also had this answer with out the manual or functioning interior lights... we shall soon be able to grasp the pebble one day.

jeremyrockjock Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:42 am

DubStyle wrote: I was going to say it's for the smoke screen escape.
Thats only on the 55-61 special edition deluxe 007 models.

obus Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:51 am

my switch works the oil drippings from the rear of the vehicle in hopes of making the enemy slide off the road. oh wait, mine drips w/o hitting any switches.

DubStyle Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:56 am

obus wrote: my switch works the oil drippings from the rear of the vehicle in hopes of making the enemy slide off the road. oh wait, mine drips w/o hitting any switches.

And here I was thinking the 63 model was the only one without a oil dripping switch. :P

jerry.t Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:22 am

ha youe all wrong, its the injector seat. hope you have a rag top.

Major Woody Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:58 am

Quote: ha youe all wrong, its the injector seat. hope you have a rag top.

Jerry, I think you may be mistaken. The rare injector seat option, M069x, was available on walk thru vehicles only, and included a reusable tetanus syringe mounted within the seat bottom spring assembly. The tetanus injections, intended to combat sickness caused by early rusting of the vehicle body, were particularly popular with owners of transporters shipped to sweden, finland, the UK and certain east coast US ports because of the effects of deicing agents used on the roads in those regions. Adding to the rarity of this part is the fact that over the years, many owners removed the part and threw it away. M069x was discontinued with the advent of the bay window bus, reportedly because VW engineers were unsure whether owners of bay window buses possessed the cognitive capacity to operate the syringe without injuring themselves or others.

Maybe Lind has a photo of this "rarest of the rare" part?

jeremyrockjock Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:05 am

My first bus had the smoke screen option. I just couldn't shut it off. I used to get yelled at on the freeway "hey dude your blowing smoke". No really? no wonder I couldn't see behind me because I a huge smoke cloud.

VWBobby Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:06 am

jeremyrockjock wrote: DubStyle wrote: I was going to say it's for the smoke screen escape.
Thats only on the 55-61 special edition deluxe 007 models.

Awww, I thought it was special M-Code "007", that was available in 55-61... I guess I learn something new everyday ;)

I thought that was a switch someone thoughtfully added to my bus this whole time....

Major Woody Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:40 am

Jeremy, I hope your bus had the injector seat option. Or did you get it after the PO died of tetanus?

jeremyrockjock Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:27 pm

That was a bay window (1970) and it was in California so it didn't have the tetnus injection option. The only rust in that bus was the battery tray.

Lind Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:49 pm

it is only for the rear interior light. the front one only works on the switch on the housing. for the rear light to work, both the pod switch and the switch on the light must be on. if either are off, the light doesn't come on.

VWBobby Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:58 pm

Very interesting. Mine has the switch, but the actual plastic 'knob' is broken off. Should I just replace it with a metal toggle switch (same size hole) or can these switches be found in good condition?

jeremyrockjock Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:41 pm

VWBobby wrote: Very interesting. Mine has the switch, but the actual plastic 'knob' is broken off. Should I just replace it with a metal toggle switch (same size hole) or can these switches be found in good condition?
They can be found. There are probably some in the classifieds.

jeremyrockjock Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:46 pm

http://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=103654
http://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=93119

VWBobby Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:01 pm

cool, Thanks Jeremy. I'll have to keep my eye out, add to my list of 1000x things to replace.:)