TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: ???? Wondering if my '64 sunroof has Original ENGINE
bigBRAD Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:25 pm

I just purchased a '64' sunroof 'and was going to make it a 2110cc street rod. But I changed my mind because the car is solid original faded paint original am radio etc...."Been in storage for ten years"!!!! Anyway...I'm going all original. I wanted help, to find out if the car has the original motor.....The engine #'s On side of oil pan say 32 v.w. 211-101-101-E----above that AS41---If that help's.....Any help at all would be apperciated....Thanks,Brad -Atascocita,T.X.......

3Bugs Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:21 pm

That's the VW casting part number and material type. Look under the generator stand, there should be a number stamped in the case, face on. In 1962 your VIN number should be between 4 010 995 and 4 846 835 and they were equipped with engines that had numbers between 5-958-948 and 6-935-203.

Nice car to find in all original condition.

vw ninja Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:21 pm

the vin number of the car should match the number on the motor under the generator stand to be og. i believe

3Bugs Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:39 pm

Don't think so, check out this list.

http://www.lightner.net/ybdb/serno.html

buggirl Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:31 am

I agree, VIN and engine number are not the same...

but here's a question: our engine does NOT have a number on the flange below the gen stand, nor does it have any evidence of grinding or other removal. We're not first owners; any chance this is an aftermarket block?

DrDarby Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:46 am

An AS41 case is a late model and or late model replacement case. It sounds like a 1600cc. Stock in the '64 would be a 40hp 1200cc. Still sounds like a nice car for a stock restoration though.

3Bugs Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:25 am

Totally agree with DrDarby. New 1600 cases will not have a number under the stand and AS41 is the upgraded alloy for better case life. Keep it stock, its worth it.

bigBRAD Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:26 pm

3Bugs wrote: That's the VW casting part number and material type. Look under the generator stand, there should be a number stamped in the case, face on. In 1962 your VIN number should be between 4 010 995 and 4 846 835 and they were equipped with engines that had numbers between 5-958-948 and 6-935-203.

Nice car to find in all original condition. Okay,The #'s on the gen. stand say's ZUNDFOLGE 1-4-3-2.....Thanks,For the reply's......Brad :!:

buggirl Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:10 pm

1-4-3-2 is the firing order; look about an inch below that, just below the split line...

Halfass0369 Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:05 pm

I believe if you contact the Wolfsburg Automuseum in Germany, they will send you a "birth certificate" for your car. This will contain all the info on your car when it was brand new (color, interior,et) and I think that includes the original engine #. I think they are charging a €15 fee for this however.

buggirl Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:18 am

update and question, help please:

our '65 also has no serial number on the gen stand; has the following on the block below the pushrod tubes:

mexico AS41
15m vw 043.101.102A

so, as per above posts and our birth certificate, we certainly don't have the original block, but is it DEFINITELY a 1600cc ????

reason for asking, it still has a 28pict carb
(maybe thats why it runs poorly?)
need to know in order to get rebuild parts for the engine.

thanks

bill may Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:23 pm

Buggirl: it can be any displacement. you need to pull heads and look on piston tops =1600 is 85.5 with 69MM stroke.

buggirl Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Thanks, but "can be any displacement" ?!?!

does that mean all these aftermarket/replacement engine blocks sat around semi-finished and were bored-to-suit by the people who needed them...
or were all blocks finished to a variety of different bore sizes and not marked externally in any way other than the casting numbers?

to simplify my life, if I measure piston stroke without pulling the head, can I determine displacement? (ie did any different bore dimensions share a common stroke?)

thanks again

gerg Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:20 pm

The blocks were not bored at all - at least not from a traditional cylinder boring process like a water cooled block would be. The block is independant of the cylinders and heads, as well as the crank. So, someone could take a stock 1600 block and fly cut the openings for the cylinders then insert much larger cylinders into the holes, as well as change to an aftermarket longer stroke crank and add new heads while they are at it.
You have to know the bore of the cylinders and the stroke of the crank to know what you have. You can only figure that out by taking off a head and measuring across a cylinder for the bore and also measuring the maximum stroke from bdc to tdc.

buggirl Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:41 pm

shoot, that's right; my question was based on years of 'regular'(?) engine experience. The block CAN be the same for all engines with only the four cylinders differing, right?

so I guess my "numberless" block is indeed a replacement, (for whatever reason), and only taking it apart will reveal if they reused the same barrels, pistons, etc, or upgraded to a bigger size...

thanks and sorry for the confusion.

gt1953 Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:17 pm

Keep it stock you will be happier. In my opinion it is harder to keep it stock even with a 40 hp engine when you find one and your resale market is much broader when compared to a car that is modified.
Mine are stock even though I get passed alot but who cares.

gerg Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:23 pm

I run my 40Hp all over the freeways in Vegas at 70-75 all the time. Have hit 80 once downhill, did not feel real safe though :shock: Not that 75 is safe . . . 8)