TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Window Washer Nozzel Question
LHG Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:53 pm

These are going on a 65 Deluxe.

Which way do the little jets point :?: Both toward the middle :?: outside :?: left :?: right :?: Just want to make sure I get it right :!:

Bart Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:21 pm

Those look ood to me, but they are suppsed to point at the middle of each window.

LHG Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:15 am

Here is a better view of where the water comes out. There is a tiny hole just visible pointing straight at you. This is the "Window View"

So, how do I orient the little nozzel nubs :?:

Lind Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:11 am

adjust them once they are installed.

Stanagon Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:38 am

I'll check my '65 panel tonight. It has the same washer nozzles (1 year only?) and they seem to be aimed pretty good.

-Stan

Stanagon Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:31 am

OK, I checked my '65 Panel last night and the little squirter shaft of the window washer nozzles both point toward the middle of the bus.

The passenger side one is pointing toward the base of the wiper arm, more or less parallel to the windshield. The driver's side one is pointing in the direction of the radio/middle dash. It is not parallel to the windshield.

They seem to work fine to clean the windsheild, but I have no idea if this is the way they were originally installed. They came this way when I bought the bus 2 years ago.

Hope this helps.

LHG Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:20 am

Thanks for checking. I was looking at them again and the bus and I think you are right, they both look like the shaft should point toward the middle. Then adjust the height with a screwdriver.

New question, anyone know how many years they used this chrome nozzel. :?: :?:

Stanagon Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:32 am

Factory parts microfiche (Type 2 to 1967) shows them as:

Part #211 955 985 (I think these are the chrome ones shown in your picture) as being on buses up to 215 190 000 (end of '65 m.y. prod.).

Part #211 955 985C (I think these are the grey ones on '66-'67) as being on buses from 216 000 001 (1966 m.y. on).

According to the 1950-1990 VW Transporter technical documentation book by Stefan Doliwa (Motor buch Verlag, german language) the washer system became standard from Aug. 8th, 1964 (1965 m.y.), from VIN# 215 000 001.

So, I would say that the chrome nozzles are a one year only (1965) standard item. It may have been possible for them to be on an earlier bus (retrofit), but the nose of the bus was most likely not stamped with the mounting hole for them until the '65 m.y. In '66 they went to the revised nozzle (part # 211 955 985C) which must be the grey ones.

There's even more detail about the upgrade of the wiper system in the Doliwa book. Apparently at the same time (start of '65 prod.) they also went to larger wiper blades (longer arms?), a christmas tree shape (wiper arm base?) and the wiper motor assembly was mounted on a frame. The question marks (?) are my guesses, due to a rather loose, casual translation of the German that I got from a co-worker.

Fun stuff!

-Stan

Clara Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:49 am

wot stan said, except the washer system was also an option before it was standard equipment... fairly uncommom option. the bottle & cap were slightly different on the optional version... believe the chrome nozzles were used

just adjust the nozzles so they spray at the windsheilds. !!!!

crofty Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:37 am

My '65 has the same ones, pointed toward the center of the bus.

Stanagon Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:10 am

Clara wrote: wot stan said, except the washer system was also an option before it was standard equipment... fairly uncommom option. the bottle & cap were slightly different on the optional version... believe the chrome nozzles were used

just adjust the nozzles so they spray at the windsheilds. !!!!

I figured it might have been an earlier option. I suppose they could just drill out holes for the nozzles in the bus nose without too much effort. I bet there might even be a tech bulletin with dimensions, etc.

more trivial details on the washer system...

This year when I took my '65 in for it's annual MA state safety inspection the guy had me operate the washers. Later, when he was applying my new inspection sticker, I asked him why he had me operate the squirters. I take all my cars to the same station and I can't remember ever having to do this before. He said he saw the washer bottle and was curious to see if it worked:) I thanked him for checking, especially since I has just gotten the bottle installed and working earlier this year.

By the way, my OE washer squirter rubber button was leaking a small amount of fluid when is was pushed. I was able to fix it with a thin wrap of plastic brown packing tape around the outer edge of the rubber where the leaks/small cracks were. It has held up well with no leaks and is hardly noticeable. It sure beats paying good money for a repro button, imho.

-Stan

DaveM Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:45 am

you're supposed to point the little nozzles off to the side or straight forward. that way, when you pull up to a group of people, you can soak them down. :lol:

I think Clara used to report that she would use the squirters with the safari windows open a bit so they acted like misters on a hot day.

LHG Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:57 pm

DaveM wrote: you're supposed to point the little nozzles off to the side or straight forward. that way, when you pull up to a group of people, you can soak them down. :lol:

Just be warned :!: I was planning on doing just that. When you go to a non VW event do you know how many people stick their heads in through the open safaris :?: :?: It will just be tooo easy :D :D

I also just got my OG washer bottle and squirter that is in perfect operatiing condition so I am ready to go.

Clara Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:11 pm

DaveM wrote: I think Clara used to report that she would use the squirters with the safari windows open a bit so they acted like misters on a hot day.
not true! I've never had a bus with washer installed and working! I used the white trash air conditioner... spray bottle and one safari window.

DaveM Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:43 pm

Clara wrote: DaveM wrote: I think Clara used to report that she would use the squirters with the safari windows open a bit so they acted like misters on a hot day.
not true! I've never had a bus with washer installed and working! I used the white trash air conditioner... spray bottle and one safari window.

my bad :oops: :oops: I thought I read once you would hit the washer pump and spray yourself with the safaris open for a quick refresher... oh well.