TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Where are all the OG westy racks? Page: 1, 2  Next
BigBoy Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:21 am

Almost every show I go to.....all I see is REPO westy racks. I guess people think its easier to just have one mailed to them and slap it on. What do you think?

Long-roofs Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:01 am

I have an OG '59-'61 slant rack with beat-down wood. It has a priceless look. The repops are good for some that need a rack, but not me. I do need a couple clamps if anyone has any....

Bart Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:05 am

BigBoy wrote: Almost every show I go to.....all I see is REPO westy racks. I guess people think its easier to just have one mailed to them and slap it on. What do you think?

repo westy look racks are much cheaper as well. If all your after is the look then why not.

billyisme Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:13 am

The "newness" of a repop rack on an OG paint bus is what looks funny to me. P-dub has a sweet-looking repop rack on his delux. I never saw it when it was new, but it has aged nicely and looks really good on his OG paint bus.
I'm sure most people with repop racks would love to find an affordable OG Westy rack, but supply and demand has made that dream difficult to achieve. Those suckers are EXPENSIVE now!

splitpile Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:32 am

BigBoy wrote: Almost every show I go to.....all I see is REPO westy racks. I guess people think its easier to just have one mailed to them and slap it on. What do you think?

There were 3 OG Westy racks for sale at Familianfest, I saw 2 at the last OCTO for sale and there was just one on The Samba for sale.

Pretty easy to find in my opinion, except for the early solid leg or slant style.

Campingbox is the king of OG Westy racks

crofty Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:38 am

splitpile wrote:

The one on his westy is the king of kings!

diy570 Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:18 pm

there's a guy near me that has quite a few og westy racks. i never have enough to buy one when he's in the selling mood.

LHG Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:24 pm

Here is one with OG tags on the "Incorrect" 65 Deluxe.

mr. warehouse Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:47 pm

splitpile wrote:

I'll 2nd that!!

OG racks are not impossible to find. I agree that most people just want a rack, and since I sell repros, I'm not going to knock that.

If I ever had a Bus that could use a Westy rack I have 3 OG's waiting.
1 sloped, 1 staright, and 1 later short one. That'senough for me.

In the meantime I'll keep cutting up repros to make ones for my Single Cabs and Campers...

crofty Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:53 pm

mr. warehouse to you wrote:

OK, you got me. What is a staright westy rack?

obus Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:23 pm

what is the difference between the 3 and can someone throw up some photos of each?

crofty Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:33 pm

obus wrote: what is the difference between the 3 and can someone throw up some photos of each?

Short westy rack is the Pop-top version of westy racks made from 64-67. They have reinforcement bars at the 4 corners that hold the uprights. That's what the repros are

Slant racks are the subhatch versions which are longer, have no reinforcement straps welded to the front and rear hoops. Instead of being level they follow the contour of the roof.

Note the difference between the rear hoops on the two racks. [/img]

mr. warehouse Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:55 pm

crofty wrote: mr. warehouse to you wrote:

OK, you got me. What is a staright westy rack?

Long non sloped rack

Barndoor Mafia Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:56 pm

BBBBBIIIIGGGGGGG BBBOOOOOOYYYYYYY UUUUUURRRRRRRHHHH!!!

Brick Top is the King of all parts!! Triples and quadruples! He corners the market for Westy racks and tents! Next time climb the roof of the old shop in his back yard!!! He likes to pretend that he has nothing........CALLESE!!!!!!!

KombiMonster Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:18 pm

I seen a few racks up there!...

Crofty...I could'nt tell the difference in the photos...other than the one your bus seems taller...I must be blind..

SHSC Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:50 pm

KombiMonster wrote: I seen a few racks up there!...

Crofty...I could'nt tell the difference in the photos...other than the one your bus seems taller...I must be blind..

See how Crofty's rack, on the back of his bus, see how all the legs are the same height. But on the SWR bus the legs increase in height?

mr. warehouse Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:59 pm

The King of all OG Westy racks.........

mr. warehouse Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:07 pm

KombiMonster wrote: I seen a few racks up there!...

Here's a regular rack

The slant or sloped racks are longer, have shorter rear and middle legs (hence the slope) and do not have the angled in supports on the front and rear legs.

KombiMonster Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:11 pm

Got it....thanks....And I was looking for about 5 minutes before I posted...lol

Clara Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:10 am

Had one dropped off at my house by a guy I didn't even know. He said his Dad left it when he drove the 65 Westy to Alaska 5 years before, did I want it? Nice rack, but if I used it I'd have beat it up, a real shame. Patience, grasshopper. This may happen to you.
I finally got the full length industrial rack I'd been wanting for years. People had told me I could buy a new full length rack, but that wasn't what I wanted. I am much happier than when I got the westy rack.