TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Why's this so cheap?
Bill-E-BoB Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:25 pm

I was surfin' autotrader today droolin' over rides I can't afford & found a really nice lookin' 21 window thats about half the price of most I see for sale in similar condition... I'm not an expert by any means...so this may be obvious to many of you, but does anyone have any insight as to why this bus would be $16K instead of $30K?

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/5/4/75251754.htm

All I can see that would hurt its value is that its not a walk-thru and it doesn't look to have a middle seat...am I missing somethin?

Church Key Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:12 pm

Uh, because everyone else is SNOOZIN' like you...
DUDE! GET ON IT if you can...IF you are serious, get down there, and have your checklist in hand along with your $$$, and drive home in style.

bmx2c4me Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:39 pm

From what I recall when it was on ebay...It was hack together kombi bus with some crazy footrest/support in the front foot well. If you're bidding ask for pics of the dash and front floors...It was missing a clock and they had some round roll bar tubing supporting the front end. Weirdo rama, but I thought it was sold!

Church Key Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:52 pm

Well THERE YOU HAVE IT!
Gotta see 'em while they're fresh...
Don't know why folks see the need to HACK shit up.
Even the most "blah" bus is cool...just leave 'em be!
Good lookin' out.

BUCIOBATISTI Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:05 am

bmx2c4me wrote: From what I recall when it was on ebay...It was hack together kombi bus with some crazy footrest/support in the front foot well. If you're bidding ask for pics of the dash and front floors...It was missing a clock and they had some round roll bar tubing supporting the front end. Weirdo rama, but I thought it was sold!

That's not the same Bus I saw that was all butchered up. The butchered Bus' nose was so ridiculously misshapen that the tip of the V was WAAAYY too low and the trim was SUPER far from fitting right and one side of the Bus wasn't symmetrical with the other. It was a total disgrace and the one in this ad looks pretty damn clean.

BigBoy Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:12 am

the bus does look good if it is not a hack job. could be a good deal, considering prices keep going up!

Bill-E-BoB Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:10 pm

Church Key wrote: Uh, because everyone else is SNOOZIN' like you...
DUDE! GET ON IT if you can...IF you are serious, get down there, and have your checklist in hand along with your $$$, and drive home in style.

I wish I could, but I don't have that kind of money, whether it be 16 or 30K, it may as well be 100 grand. Right now I don't even have the money for the 2K project bus I came here lookin' to buy anymore...paycuts at work made me choose between payin' the mortgage & buyin' the bus. :( stupid reality...

TimB Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:21 pm

Am I the only one that sees that the price is fair? I don't consider this a super deal.

visibleink Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:03 am

opensunroof wrote: Am I the only one that sees that the price is fair? I don't consider this a super deal.

Are you crazy? That bus is a STEAL!!!!!!

No seriously, I think 21's and 23's are generally WAY overpriced but hey it's all about supply and demand.

Church Key Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:29 am

Bill-E...hang in there, bro...your day will come.
Just keep chuggin'.
Yeah....if the thing is halfway correct...the PAINT would have cost more than the asking price.
Truly.
But, it IS all supply/demand...and I have seen some SCREAMING deals lately...that seemed all but impossible not so long ago.
Get 'em while they're hot.

ronnie Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:55 am

opensunroof wrote: Am I the only one that sees that the price is fair? I don't consider this a super deal.

i agree, up until very recently people were laughing at the 30-40k 21's, to me it's still laughable. how did it become the norm so fast?

splitpile Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:08 pm

There are still a lot of 21's out there for under 20 K in my opinion. I have seen real nice ones for 12 to 14 k, but not on this site or dealers classified.
The Samba is just a small outlet for VW's and country wide classified yield a lot of deals. Craigs list used to be one but it has caught on big time and deals are snapped up quick.
I am amazzed at what I see on type2 classified, a lot less money then the SAMBA and other classified I see.
Found a super nice 61 DD panel for 1800 dollars for a friend out of a So Cal classified ad on the net! People who owned it didn't know the samba existed. I also got a 67 original owner, rust free pop top westy, camper interior gone ( out of San Diego) for free in an sold my property need to get ride of vehicle ad. The owner gave away the bus, a 74 ford F250 truck in really good condition and 2 corvairs, one was a vert.
If looking for a deal look at out of the norm classified. NQ from Nebraska is always posting classified ads for cheap VW's fron ads around the country he finds.
The hunt continues.

Friedpotatoes Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:24 pm

its amazing to see a running rust bucket can sell for 2k now. and anything under 1k is deader than a door nail. (the rust has rust)

I paid $500 for my bus and its a good bus (some good some bad about it). My other busses both cost 100.

at this rate my bus will be worth 7k in 3 years

Bill-E-BoB Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:47 pm

Friedpotatoes wrote: its amazing to see a running rust bucket can sell for 2k now. and anything under 1k is deader than a door nail. (the rust has rust)

I paid $500 for my bus and its a good bus (some good some bad about it). My other busses both cost 100.

at this rate my bus will be worth 7k in 3 years

Thats the beauty of old cars...I've got a '69 Camaro that I bought for 2 grand about 8 years ago...still needs TONS of work, it would really love a subframe off resto, but even so, people are beggin' me to sell it for 12 grand now, which actually seems to be a fair price for the condition its in. Not too far off from the condition it was in back in '96 when it was only worth 2K. If I weren't such a packrat, I'd sell it to get a splitty...but I can't part with her...gotta keep adding to my collection. :)