TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: gas cap
thtdood Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:00 pm

Just got a new gas cap from BusBoys for my '65. This thing makes such a great seal, that when I unscrew it to fill up, I can hear the air being sucked in. And with the new fuel pump, it's making a huge vacuum inside my tank. Is this ok/normal? Never had this problem with my old cap (which I lost).
Thanks!

mintonman Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:06 pm

I had to put a tiny hole in my new cap. I thought I was out of gas twice & when I went to fill the tank it only took like two gallons of gas. Twice I had to walk for gas & didn't need it :oops: I just needed to open the cap to let some air in. I'm looking for an original cap now cause evertime I make a left hand turn I can smell gas......................james

thtdood Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:09 pm

yeah, the "hole" idea sounds good. this cap says it's made in germany, so i assume it would do what it's supposed to do.

23window Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:11 pm

MSkeen should jump in on this. We replaced his tank becuase the cap wouldn't vent, collapsed/buckled the tank and caused a small crack. :shock:

thtdood Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:12 pm

23window wrote: MSkeen should jump in on this. We replaced his tank becuase the cap wouldn't vent, collapsed/buckled the tank and caused a small crack. :shock:

not cool.

mintonman Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:18 pm

Thats what I was fearing, so I made the hole.

thtdood Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:28 pm

j.minton wrote: Thats what I was fearing, so I made the hole.

where'd you drill the hole?

KombiMonster Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:19 pm

I've had my tank push gas out the cap a few times...if that happens don't open the cap..all kinds of gas with shoot out!!!!!....I've switch'ed caps but I think I still have a piece of shit cap...haven't been able to find a good used one yet...

mskeen Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:05 pm

thtdood wrote: 23window wrote: MSkeen should jump in on this. We replaced his tank becuase the cap wouldn't vent, collapsed/buckled the tank and caused a small crack. :shock:

not cool.

No it wasn't ... The only cool thing about it (and this is a stretch) was the 'bonging' noise it made after driving the bus and letting it sit. Didn't find out what the noise was until it was too late though i.e peeing bus.

I too have a non-logoed "made in Germany" cap that doesn't like to vent. I have drilled a small hole in it until I get an original cap.