TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: wolfsburgwest vs. westcoastmetric (rubber)
hlwimmer Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:12 pm

the resto is underway (big time) and i'm getting the materials together this week. different vendors have their specialties and each is great for certain things...

in regards to rubber (window/door/body seals + handle seals, bumper seals, etc)... which is best: wolkfburg west or west coast metric? i'd rather buy it all from one place (the rubber), but perhaps some of each is better than some of the other... (?)

ssx Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:54 am

I went with Wolfsburg West. I got the deluxe trim version and am very happy with the quality!

Mr. Bubblehead Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:28 am

I hav purchased some rubber seals from WCM in the past and I've been very satisfied with both the cost and quality of them.

Glenn Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:34 am

I used WCM on my 74. It's been 6 years and have had no problems. Other than the hood handle seals cracking and those are genuine VW... figures.

TeamSpatula Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:13 am

My WCM seals have held up great for 6 years now. Some of them were even stamped VW/Audi parts.

TimGud Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:50 am

I have installed both and found the Wolfsburg West seals to be the better quality of the two.

oc63rag Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:38 am

I've gotten a couple seals at WW and they seem fine-no problems. The guys at WW are extremely helpful and gave me a copy of their dvd which has some really cool restoration steps included. Get a copy if you're doing a resto. Nothing beats good visuals to understand the steps.

Slowlow Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:05 pm

I just spent 200+ on rubber seals from WCM for a customers car. I think they are good quality and they were ultra freindly guys to talk to.

vrsechslvr Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:40 am

I know it's not air-cooled but it's a VW. In '94 I purchased all rubber from WCM for my '81 Rabbit. Windows, doors, trunk, hood, handles etc. I still drive the car on a regular basis and they still look new. I'm not sure of the quality for air-cooled, but my experience will have me go back with my '60 sedan.

Bklyn63 Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:11 pm

I bought a bunch of gaskets from jbugs. the gasket kit was crap and brazillian..but the window rubber was WCM....The window gasket was mis labeled for a 62 when it was for a later convertible and was too big.

I called WCM and they measured on the phone with me. Told me it was a mistake and to call Jbugs to exchange it. This was more than a year later.

I have also had the vulcanized seams come apart in the past, probably because the size was wrong. They were replaced no questions asked by WCM.
moral of the story...WCM stands by their product...

Jerry J Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:19 pm

I've been very pleased with WCM stuff. This is what most all of my local shops carry as their top brand. So the WCM seems to be more available.

I know this isn't rubber but I just put a WCM Stayfast canvas top on my Ragtop and it seemed unreasonably short. But after a few days in the sun it looks great and nice and tight. And my top closes without a great deal of effort.

I've heard and read great stuff about Wolfsburg West. I seriously don't think that you can go wrong either way.