TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dumb question I am sure
BennyBuckle Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:17 pm

Alright, about 5 years ago I briefly owned a 65 Beetle, that I was going to restore. Some troubles came up (not with the car) and I had to sell it. I am now at a point where I want to start a project again. I have found a 1967 Beetle that a guy I work with is selling. The engine is out and broken down into boxes, the interior is completely stripped out (no seats, nothing), the rear deck lid and fenders have been pulled and patched up nicely. Basically I am buying a rolling pan and shell. Trans and engine are there but need to be redone and I would need a complete new interior, new wiring, and probably need to do some work to the engine. Quite a bit of work I know.

Now for the question. $200 is what the guy is asking, and the rest is minimal (one advantage of living in AZ). How much work am I getting into here, and is it really a worthwhile project. I have never built one complete before, but I do have the time and the knowledge base (many friends) around me. Opinions? :?:

HotRodedXXX Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:48 am

I think the biggest downfall here would be that you were not able to be there during the breakdown. Thats gonna make the reassembaly a royal PITA.

How well did he label everything when he did the teardown? Did he take pictures?

It sounds like a good deal. But its gonna be alot of work.

volks67beetle Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:21 am

think about it.... a 67 beetle.... the rear apron is worth close to 200 dollars...throw in the engine lid and any other one year only parts and you got your money back.... Two hundred dollars is a lot to some, but even for those.....sell the parts if you get over your head and you will make a profit. buy a 50 dollar tow bar and you still come out on top. sell what you can and tow the beetle to the yard for free...most yards would be happy to get a donation, especially if you tow it there. Seats are easy to find.... there are two low back seats on the classifieds right now for like 25 bucks...yes they need rebuilding but you can do it. You can fix it.... take your time with her. There are plenty parts to be bought for your bug...you just have to look. I have one in Massachusetts.... try finding parts out here for a pre 67 bug.... I was traveling one day and saw a bug next to someone's barn...beat to hell.... left a note with thelady and she ended up giving it to me for free...a 67 too! I got a perfect set of door handles and a matching ignition and deck lid.... talk about a score....not one ding in the handles.... take it one thing at a time...do the metal repairs first..floors, etc... second do the paint and exterior. third do the wires, fourth do the interior.... I dont' think you have a lot to lose here....the question is not that hard.... two hundred bucks is an insurance payment and electric bill or even groceries for a couple of weeks... think about it.....spend two hundred dollars..... fix it up...and it is worth a couple of grand....OR don't fix it up, sell the parts and make a profit.... you do the math. BUY THE DAMN CAR

TimGud Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:52 am

I was thinking the same thing. It's worth alot more in parts alone being a one year only car on many of the body parts. Worth a few bucks if put together as well.

Kris Styes Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:17 am

I agree with all who say “BUY IT” In my opinion, a 67 Type 1 is a great style. A little of the “old” and “12 volt” from the start. Restoring a 67 can be mixed. Parts (good original ones) are hard to find and may command high dollars. Restoring this 67 will take time, if you want to do it right. So, if you restore it, plan on the long haul. Plan your “parts needed” purchases so you won’t pay too much for the items.

Either way, “BUY IT”, for restoring or parting out! Let us know what you do also!

THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!

Viva la Samba!

Kris (Kansas)

Mark Evans Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:40 am

I have my eye on a '67, sound like the same condition as yours. Dismantled,all parts are there, piles of it in the car. $200!! Must be a national conspiracy. I try to stick to the pre '64 stuff tho. If you need another parts car for a donor, let me know!

BennyBuckle Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:30 am

Just took a closer look at the vehicle and talked to the owner a bit and turns out it is a 69 Beetle and not a 67. Going to make a big difference in parts values on the vehicle I am sure, but it should still be a worthwhile project.

volksguy Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:36 am

I admit, i personaly hate those bastard 67 bugs, BUT needless to say its only $200, you cant go wrong, as much as i hate the 67's, ide even get it my self,there no loss there, its all win win win. Beside being apart is a good thing, now you have the chance to assemble it your self,the way you want it,and you'll know that it was done right, no unknown mickey mouses on it.....Unless your a mickey mouse builder your self. :roll:

bill may Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:43 am

is the reason you hate 67's maybe because they take less modification to run bigger engines than 66 and older?(66 is 20 lbs. lighter) 68 is 200 lbs heavier.. or because they keep kicking your cars butt????

volks67beetle Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:47 am

There are many many opinions on years and what is considered the best...but to me a volkswagen is a volkswagen...I love them all...but you might have opened a wound here....a lot of people may tell you to junk the car because it is a 69.... well you can't lose either way...to do it yourself or to sell it. I personally would build it myself... and at least attempt the resto...you can always hire out if you are not confident with some jobs...floors, etc. But at least you tried. you can at least feel good with the gratification of doing something yourself....

You can do more than you think you can do...all you need to do is read up on it and practice.....

bill may Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:16 am

dont junk it.. 69's have IRS instead of 68 and older swingaxel... swingaxel really needs a camber compensater to handle correctly.... especially if you run more than 20 lbs. in front tires and 26-28 in rear.

NorCalLowLife209 Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:05 am

Buy it, its a 67, what else is there to say? i own 2!

volks67beetle Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:08 am

NORcalLOWlife209 wrote: Buy it, its a 67, what else is there to say? i own 2!

It turned out to be a 1969 as he stated a few replies above :)

NorCalLowLife209 Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:06 pm

volks67beetle wrote: NORcalLOWlife209 wrote: Buy it, its a 67, what else is there to say? i own 2!

Damn, i didnt read the whole thread. DONT BUY IT! :lol:

volks67beetle Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:19 pm

NORcalLOWlife209 wrote: volks67beetle wrote: NORcalLOWlife209 wrote: Buy it, its a 67, what else is there to say? i own 2!

Damn, i didnt read the whole thread. DONT BUY IT! :lol:

A 69 has feelings too...that is not a bad car. Love thy Volkswagen.

adamb29 Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:16 pm

Personally I prefer the looks of the 67 and older. I currently have a 67 that is being restored. I originally said buy it because it was the 67 style that I like. Now I am going to say "Save that $200 towards a bug you really want". If you really want the 69, then get it, $200 for a car is a good price in the condition you described. Otherwise, sock that $200 away for the year Beetle you have your heart set on. To find out more about the years and differences in them, surf the web, here on www.thesamba.com, or buy a good book.

In the end most cars in this condition are under $1000. Just pick the one you like and start saving up.

Oh yea, make sure it has a good title. If he is selling it for $200 because he does not have a title, keep on walking.

inksling Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:27 pm

if he does not have a title make sure you get a notorized bill of sale from him. you will want to check but in most states thats all you need to get a car with no title. i have bought several cars without titles and have "sold" them to my wife with a notarized bill of sale so she could get a title.