TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuel Reserve Q
vrsechslvr Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:45 am

I have an early '60 and it didn't come with a gas guage (and I'd rather not add one). It has the hole for a reserve lever but no valve or actual lever. I think one of the many PO's have removed it.
Anyway, I would like to add the reserve option, but I'm having a hard time finding info on this. I know you need the valve and the lever but what about the tank? Is there a secondary(reserve) tank that I need or is there a reserve space in the current tank? I've looked under the tank and there is only one exit line with no apparent weld spot from another.
My tank appears to be period correct, but I really have no way to tell, besides pictures.
****I thought I had a lead at one of the socal vw shows. I asked an owner of a restored '59 about his reserve setup. He didn't want to show me the set up or the tank. In fact he was quite rude. After I watched him walk away I peeked under his car and found the lever was connected to NOTHING.
Even the oldest auto enthusiasts can contribute to the "all show no go" idea. Bummer.
Thanks for the help all you Samba guys....

79SuperVert Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:47 am

I can't help you too much but if you look at the Wolfsburg West website you'll see some diagrams of the parts needed for the reserve lever. Also if you can look at the VW shop manual for your year car it should have info on the setup.

And I enjoyed your story about the rude show guy. He should have just come clean. Guess what: one day driving home from a show he'll run out of gas and won't have a reserve to flip over to. Then the trophy he won will seem particularly useless.

TWD Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:56 pm

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D209%2D021%2DF

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D209%2D147%2DA

The lever is usually on EBay or Wolfsburg West has it. Don't forget the rubber ring that holds the screen on.

petevw Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:37 pm

hello,

you'll need a fuel reserve, fuel filter screen, fuel lever w/cotter pin. the fuel lever attaches to the reserve and exits out the the little hole inside the cab.

the fuel reserve has two bass tubes(one long and one short) when the gas goes below the long tube you would turn the lever to activate the reserve lever where as the (small tube) would pick up the gas.

the gas tank is one unit.

pete

Mattimus Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:02 pm

Does anyone sell just the rubber boot to the switch? Mine is toast.

bill may Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:44 pm

boot is in repair/rebuild kit from wolfsburg west.

Mattimus Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:48 am

Thanks again Bill!

Sorry about the hijack. :oops: