TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bus needs a horn
rusty57 Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:21 pm

I bought a 12 Volt horn to install on my bus. Yesterday, i decided to install it. I found three wires hanging in the bottom by the bracket to mount the horn. Two go on the recepticles and i presume the third goes on the ground screw directly on the horn. Here is the problem. I removed the horn button, and there was no wire there. No problem, i went to the 66 and took off the button and wire. I went to drop it into the steering column, and of course it hits the steering box. I went to the front bottom and looked at the box. There s a wire that has been cut hanging from it. I noticed a little plate with some bolts on it. Can i remove the bolts and pass the "new" wire through it? If not, is there a way to get a horn without running a wire on the outside of the steering column? Eventually i plan on installing some kind of air horn. Maybe a train horn, complete with an air compressor. That would be cool. Until then, help me beep beep.

ToolBox Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:29 pm

Only two wires go to the horn, constant power(12v) and a switched ground from the horn button. THe switched ground comes through the steering shaft from the horn button.

Yours is hung up on the old wire in the shaft. Do not remove all bolts on the plate unless you want to make a mess. Pull off the one that holds the wire clamp, remove the old wire and finish pushing you new wire through.

TeamSpatula Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:02 pm

I've found that when replacing horn wires, it's easier to start at the bottom, feed it through the little hole, and then push it up until you can easily grab the new wire at the top...it's a lot easier that way than trying to get it down through the little hole on the bottom...