TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: original gas caps
vdub66gone Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:40 pm

anyone know if these are the original for a 66 bug, i believe mine to be original but its diff than the one in the pic... mines flat topped and has a small vw symbol in the corner...
any imput??
by the way i have an o.g. 66 bug, hence the question
thanks

ScrapJunkie Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:06 pm

You forgot to put the picture up..FYI

zaizai Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:26 am

I've seen two types of tank cap for '66, but they look identical. The difference is in the metal. My 1966 originally came with a quite soft metal cap (with matching oil cap) - and all 3 of the "lugs" had snapped off. I think these were only found in April 1966 cars. The thicker metal caps are identical, just better metal.

They are also the same as used on the 181/182 ;)

This is the best pic I have, sorry.

bill may Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:19 pm

which vender made your cap?? look inside it will be stamped IE blau or other..

vdub66gone Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:26 am

woah...smoke much? heres the pic, my apologizes for the late update

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94018

the thing is my cap has the vw part number not only on the cap itself but a tiny vw symbol followed by the part number on the rubber material inside the underside of the cap... thanks again
sorry for the short term mem loss haha

zaizai Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:03 am

that's exactly how my petrol cap looks. I can't actually visually check it until next weekend, since the car is not kept here!

bill may Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:16 pm

the one with vw on top came as original. the smooth one is replacement made by same manufacturer. it is part # not serial #.

Petzuh Hut Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:13 pm

What and how do you disconnect the cap thats on the top of the gastank?

bill may Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:06 am

if you mean the cover for sending unit on top of tank it "pops off" with flat blade screw driver like hub cap. the gas cap twist and lift with hand.

zaizai Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:38 pm

The "VW Logo" cap is correct. The smooth cap is made as an aftermarket item by the same manufacturer - the kind you would buy in your local motor factors after you left the original at the petrol station :)

ScrapJunkie Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:44 pm

Would the "VW" emblem cap be correct for a 65 as well?

zaizai Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:33 pm

I think so

ScrapJunkie Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:32 pm

Alright, because mine came with a "smooth" top cap.

bill may Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:10 am

61-67 used same cap - Blau is on most of mine-- you should see how they look chromed :D

ScrapJunkie Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:23 am

Well, post a picture then.

Rome Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:37 pm

Alright folks, I'll mention something significant about them thar' gas caps. I fully agree that the "VW logo" cap shown above was the type with which the car left the factory. But a friend of mine, who works in the product liability dept at VW's HQ in Germany, told me about a different style cap for all '67 and older T1s. That cap is basically the "Thing" cap, which is much taller than the OGs and has a small VW logo on the top surface. Sorry, no photo available. It also has some larger knurls on the underside to grasp it better. This cap is a much improved design than the original, as it allows the tank to vent air pressure suddenly in case of frontal impact... :shock: This later cap most likely is the only one available at VW dealers in the USA for the older cars. So if you see an older T1 with such a "late" cap at a VW show, do not penalize for it, especially if the car is driven (not a never-driven trailer queen). It is a dealer-offered safety upgrade which was never "publicized".

Doug's Bugs Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:22 am

Here is a picture of what the original cap looks like when it has been buffed out. It's a lot cheaper than chroming them and they look beautiful.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94980

Also here is a picture of what I believe is the optional dealer replacement cap.http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=94981

Rome Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:44 am

Yup, that looks like the replacement cap. The one I have is gold/cadmium anodised.