TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: High Capacity Gas Tank
Burlon Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:48 pm

Has anyone installed an after market high capacity gas tank? I've heard after market gas tanks suck, but I'd like to hear from someone who has one installed. I'm looking at the 16 gallon tank at CIP. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ghia Nut Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:30 pm

I dont know what kind of engine your running, but the standard original tank is what I would look at. I had to replace my original one and was told buy a new tank, well, I was also told that the aftermarket tanks are fairly odd and arent of the best quality. So, I bought a used tank for 25 bucks and it was rusted to shit so I took it to my local radiator shop and had it boiled and sand blasted for about 135 bucks. In addition to that I bought muratic acid (bad stuff that can eat holes in you) and dumped it in the tank after sealing off all ends with duct tape which worked well. I did this twice untill the metal was spotless and poured a thing of baking soda to stop the eating of the metal and washed with warm water twice. After this, I poured in metal ready from Por 15 and let that sit for 2 to 3 hours. After that, I washed with warm water two times and had to blow dry the tank for 15 minutes, I then dumped in the Por 15 standard gas tank sealant and empied the excess into the container and let it set for 94 hours. In all, this gas tank rang up about 175 to 200 bucks, but its original and thats what matters to me, this may not be the most cost effective way and I havent tested it out, but this is how I got around the crappy aftermarket tanks that I have heard about. In reason you really dont need a 16 gallon tank if you tune your car right. These engines can get up to 32 mpg and on 10 gals, thats 320 miles on a tank and that for me would last close to a week and a half to two weeks. Just my .02