TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cutting driver's side rocker...and many other things... Page: 1, 2  Next
novetti Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:40 pm

I already saw many pics on the internet, from metwiz to Tom's (vintagebus), of rocker replacements.
My bus has rust on the deepest section of the rocker on the driver's side.
I bought a replacement and i'm thinking where would the best position to cut the rocker from my bus.
The replacement has a step section on the top (so a overlapped weld joint could be made). I really don't need to cut the rocker with that height, but seems really easier to match the new sheetmetal on the bus side using this overlapped weld on the top. Am i right?

I will be replacing with new sheetmetal:
-Driver's side rocker
-Cargo side rocker and rear quarter rocker (the sheetmetal that runs from the end of the rocker on the cargo side to the rear fender)
-inner sills (both sides)
-front and rear outriggers
-center beams (front and rear)
-cargo floor

What would be the best cutting sequence?

Take the under carriage out? Then the floor and rockers?

I know that to take the floor out will be necessary lot's of cuts and grinding, because of the welds on the top of the cross struts...

I'm planning to use a thin cut off disc (1,2mm thick) to do most part of the job, and i'm thinking on using my jigsaw also.

Thanks

Julio

marklaken Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:29 pm

i also am doing this fix...i had a post in the body forum that had some useful info and some pics...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86287

i found the cutoff disc works well, as does a 1/8" titatnium drillbit (you will need a couple, they wear out fast) and a chisel for breaking spot welds...

good luck, mark

EvilBus Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:16 pm

you strike a line along the og rocker, leave some material because it's easier to take more off than put it back on.

The forward should abut up against the seam in the dogleg, so you shouldn't have to cut the replacement panel at all.

Behind the rocker is spot welds, especially along the bottom you'll need to seperate those. Inside the bus the supports that run vertically also
spot weld to the rocker. The floor also spot welds on.

But if you have a chalk line strike the line the length of the rocker. Where you cut is at the point where the new replacement will slip under it. You can gut it a little fat because you'll have to fill it anyway. Spot
weld the new panel in place using a MIG or TIG. You can then go back along the seam and stitch it (welding small sections) at a time. Be careful cause it will heat up and warp.

Remember to spot weld on the bottom about every 4 inches or so where it meets the inner rocker.

It's not hard, just time consuming.

DubStyle Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:47 pm

I don't like the idea of the joggle being on the repair panel side. When and if any moisture builds up in the Bus it will collect right back in that joggle. In turn you will start the corrosion process all over. :?

splitpile Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:53 pm

In an Original workshop manual and/or the Bentley reprint there are diagrams from the factory of where to cut for panel replacement. Also measurements of the bus to get it all back right.

EvilBus Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:46 am

DubStyle wrote: I don't like the idea of the joggle being on the repair panel side. When and if any moisture builds up in the Bus it will collect right back in that joggle. In turn you will start the corrosion process all over. :?

The biggest problem is where the inner / outer meet since the inner has
a gap dirt and crap gets up in there from driving. And it you're off roading your bus, or you have mice in your area (who doesn't) crap gets up in there. Add mositure, driving in the rain and now it never dries out.

It was a strong design and quick to make, but it's a rust collector.

I've always thought about cutting holes on the inner rocker between the outriggers, but that may increase the problem. Or, maybe if
the inner had the gaps closed up at the top?

DubStyle Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:51 am

I guess you could always use seam sealer and seal the entire area. I used a joggler and did the Bus side when I welded mine in. Then again this was pre-joggled panels from WW. :wink:

EvilBus Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:08 am

DubStyle wrote: I guess you could always use seam sealer and seal the entire area. I used a joggler and did the Bus side when I welded mine in. Then again this was pre-joggled panels from WW. :wink:

Yeah, but if you use seam sealer though on the bottom, you create a vessel for water. Up under the floor, you'd have to get up in there and weld it up or tab it. There's also a couple of other spots on the drivers rocker area. In the cargo door area there's at least 4 areas.. So, maybe the thought should be POR15 the replacement panels on the inside?

diy570 Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:21 pm

if you have access to air get an air hammer with some chisel and spot weld bits to make everypart of this job easier. you can tear out your cargo floor, inner rockers, outriggers, and jack points super quick. the cost of those cutting discs on an electric grinder will add up quickly on a job this big, get air instead.

diy570 Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:37 pm

joggle?? its called a flange. for the inside of rockers, you should cover them with 3m weld through coating before you weld them onto the vehicle. its a corrosion resistant, weldable spray. your welds will be a bit messier, but it will pay off in the long run.

DubStyle Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:04 pm

irievolks wrote: joggle?? its called a flange.

Is that right? That's strange because the body shop that loaned me the tool called it a joggling tool. Snapon calls them a joggler. Yes the part of the metal that is made by the tool is a flange, but the bend itself is called a joggle.

Alan Brase Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:20 am

I guarantee it'd be called a joggle in the UK!
Al
69 doublecab
DubStyle wrote: irievolks wrote: joggle?? its called a flange.

Is that right? That's strange because the body shop that loaned me the tool called it a joggling tool. Snapon calls them a joggler. Yes the part of the metal that is made by the tool is a flange, but the bend itself is called a joggle.

novetti Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:19 am

Since i´m working with abrasives, i have easy access to thin cut off disks and the like. So i will give it a try. There is one specific disk which is very thin (1,0mm thick) that performs a precise job.
I´m planning my cuts to make then on the next weekend.
I will drill/grind the spots weld out.

So this driver´s side rocker will be cut on the top section (before the stepped section of the replacement) to allow a lap joint with the bus side.

Since i´m replacing lot´s of stuff (outriggers/rockers/ beams/floor) i will do the following sequence:
-cut floor, rockers, beams/outriggers on that order

-weld the beams/outriggers first, the inner sills, the jacking points, the rockers on both sides and the last weld will be floor on the top of everything. All welds i will use with be MIG. I´m renting a Mig welder next month, to do all the welds i will need. It costs about 80U$ montly to rent a Mig welder here.

This will allow to prevent rust, spraying epoxy coating on the top of the under carriage (under the floor) parts (inner sills,jack points,beams, outriggers, center beams, cross struts).
This saturday will be cut off / grinding day...

Thanks

Julio

Ps: i´m saving money to buy my Bentley manual...pretty expensive book..

diy570 Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:25 am

DubStyle wrote: irievolks wrote: joggle?? its called a flange.

maybe its a uk term. ive never heard anybody use that word before and i do this stuff for a living.

swervyjoe Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:33 am

novetti wrote: Ps: i´m saving money to buy my Bentley manual...pretty expensive book..
try to find a used one. i remember seeing one in the classifieds. here's one
BTW: its definately worth the price.

DubStyle Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:02 am

irievolks wrote: maybe its a uk term. ive never heard anybody use that word before and i do this stuff for a living.

Sorry I'm not in the UK. :P Like I said I searched for my own tool and I found one on Harbor Freight and Snap-on so I know it's not just a UK term. Either way I would do the bus side.

speed holes Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:01 pm

according to google, joggle is java boggle

try saying that five times fast.....

diy570 Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:24 pm

speed holes wrote: according to google, joggle is java boggle

who knows, my snap on dealer has been in the biz for 30 years and never heard of or sold a joggler. id be interested in seeing a joggler, do you have any pictures?

EvilBus Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:38 pm

I once kicked the crap out of a jogger.

:-)

DubStyle Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:02 pm

Oh what ever your guys an old fart! :P Like I said earlier either way I would have done the bus side. :wink: