TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Replacing Rotors and what are Races?
Ghia Nut Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:00 pm

I have just ordered new calipers and was wondering if it would be to my advantage to put in new rotors whilst I am at it. I looked in my bently, and it seems straight forward but I read and these "races" came up. I am thinking the races are the little wheels on the bearing itself maybe? Any way, I was just wondering if you guys think I should replace both wheel bearings on both sides along with the rotors and new calipers. My current rotos arent to shabby, yes they are a tad rusty and my dad said they need to be reground because they are pretty pitted, I mean, nothing more than a pincle tip pit at any rate (if that gives you some sort of clue). How envolved is this process and could I tackle it with a standard set of mechanics tools.

ScrapJunkie Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:25 pm

The "race" is the metal ring the bearings roll on.

Pez Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:37 pm

Replacing the calipers and rotors can be done with simple mechanic tools but your rotors need to be reground by a pro. Any shop should be able to do it. As for the races their the metal ring that the bearings roll on you can get them out by hitting the bcak of them with a chisel.

Good luck,
Brian

my59 Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:29 pm

Before you get the rotors ground make sure they are not warped- the shop can do this for you. You want to make sure that after they are ground they will still be within specification; otherwise if they get too thin they can warp after grinding and then you are back where you started