TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Replacing a kingpin on a '65 bug.
bclark Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:23 pm

How hard is it? How much do you think is average to pay to have this and the tire rods done?

abdon Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:35 pm

Easy as pie. Four big bolts on the front, two more on top, disconnect the steering wheel bar, brake lines, and it is out. You have to remove the gas tank in order to reach everything. Even taking it slowly you could do it under two hours; a shop in around 30 minutes.

What is not so easy is the front end alignment.

bclark Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:38 pm

Wow...That doesn't sound easy to me. The shop wants $650-$700 to do the rods and the pin. Anyone in CA Bay Area want to do it for cheaper?

aggro_jo Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:51 pm

bclark Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:22 pm

aggro_jo wrote:
its a ton of exacting work but that price seems double what a good shop could do it for.
Including parts?

aggro_jo Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:30 pm

wtchef Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:18 am

A shop in Dallas charges $150 for parts and properly installing the new King Pins.
Purchace prices on the following, there easy to istall just do it yourself. Loosen nut add new part, tighten bolt. Align!
LH tie rod w/ ends $34.99
RH tie rod w/ends $37.99
Steering Damper $16.99

Have Fun that is what this is all about!

abdon Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:43 am

bclark wrote: Wow...That doesn't sound easy to me. The shop wants $650-$700 to do the rods and the pin. Anyone in CA Bay Area want to do it for cheaper?

Trust me it is. Four bolts on the front, two on top, and when you try to pull it, it will hang by the brake lines and the steering wheel so you have to disconnect those. Everything can only go in one way.

But in any event, I see now that your question was about rebuilding the king pin, not about replacing it outright with a new one. Replacing the whole thing is an option. Right now CIP1 doesn't have them on stock but when they do the charge is $270 spindle to spindle. You can do most of the work yourself, and get the alignment close enough so the car can make it to the nearest shop for a honest to goodnest front end alignment.

bclark Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:23 am

Well, it turns out I need kingpin, link pins and tire rods replaced. Calling around to local shops and $600 seems to be average. I didn't think the shop I have been going to would over charge as they seem really cool, but I just wanted to check before dropping that kind of cash.