TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vacuum Distributor for a 1600sp
mskeen Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:19 pm

Everytime I post about my 009 someone tells me to replace it with a vacuum distributor. I'm hoping to pick one up at BBXI. So other than then Aircooled SVDA, what models/part numbers should I be looking for?

Buckly Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:04 pm

I need a little more info. Is it a single or doule port? What carb do you have?

mskeen Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:11 pm

Buckly wrote: I need a little more info. Is it a single or doule port? What carb do you have?

Sorry about that: 1600 single port with a 30 Pict 3

P-Dub Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:09 pm

I have always run a stock vac distrubuter with no complaints, until last week when mine went bad. So now I'm running a 009, 'cause it was all that was available. The biggest difference I have noticed is the power curve. The 009 likes to be reved higher and dosen't like low rpm. The vac advance was "easier" to drive in my opinion. I'm going to live with the 009 for now, it's not better or worse, just different.

mskeen Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:46 pm

P-Dub wrote: I have always run a stock vac distrubuter with no complaints, until last week when mine went bad. So now I'm running a 009, 'cause it was all that was available. The biggest difference I have noticed is the power curve. The 009 likes to be reved higher and dosen't like low rpm. The vac advance was "easier" to drive in my opinion. I'm going to live with the 009 for now, it's not better or worse, just different.

Sounds good. What was the part number of your old vac dist?

Buckly Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:29 pm

I believe you want to use a VW 113 905 205, but there are a number of other models that will work also. The main thing to know is a SP engine with a 30pict 3 needs a Vacuum only advance, although a think a vacuum-centrifugal would work just fine(maybe better, later model DPs had these) as well. VW and bosch made distributors for engine years 61-67. What year bus, or really what year engine is yours, and is it a 6 volt or 12 volt?

Buckly Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:42 pm

Oh and by the way, your topic subject does mention 1600SP, Duh, my mistake.

Eric&Barb Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:36 pm

mskeen wrote: Everytime I post about my 009 someone tells me to replace it with a vacuum distributor. I'm hoping to pick one up at BBXI. So other than then Aircooled SVDA, what models/part numbers should I be looking for?

Hi Volks,
Make sure to check out this webpage:

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/

Lots of good info, including the "The Ignition Distributor Specifications Page" there which gives a year by year distributor used and for each model!!
Eric&Barb

mskeen Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:23 pm

Eric&Barb wrote: mskeen wrote: Everytime I post about my 009 someone tells me to replace it with a vacuum distributor. I'm hoping to pick one up at BBXI. So other than then Aircooled SVDA, what models/part numbers should I be looking for?

Hi Volks,
Make sure to check out this webpage:

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/

Lots of good info, including the "The Ignition Distributor Specifications Page" there which gives a year by year distributor used and for each model!!
Eric&Barb

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info!