TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wiring Harness
BillyRx Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:12 pm

Looking for good quality wiring harness. Anyone have suggestions or comments on what they have purchased. Thanks

Berg56oval Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:02 pm

I too am looking for a quality wiring harness. Any names to avoid out there?
THanks for the help.

gerg Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:03 pm

Bob Nodvik @ Wiring Works . . .310-519-8147

Best available - makes most of the ones in the stores you find today.

slugbug721 Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:43 pm

I would definately use Wiring Works as mentioned above.
I bought mine from Stuart on ebay who gets them from Bob. Here's a link to his ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7930979999&category=46101

Wiring Works - Bob Nodvik
2805 Kerckhooff Ave.
San Pedro, CA 90731
(310) 519-8147

As which ones to avoid, probably the Painless wiring kit. My buddy used one and it was a real stretch getting the wires to reach certain areas. They could've made the harness a little longer to give you some slack.

ScrapJunkie Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:57 pm

slugbug721 wrote: I would definately use Wiring Works as mentioned above.
I bought mine from Stuart on ebay who gets them from Bob. Here's a link to his ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7930979999&category=46101

2805 Kerckhooff Ave.
San Pedro, CA 90731
(310) 519-8147

As which ones to avoid, probably the Painless wiring kit. My buddy used one and it was a real stretch getting the wires to reach certain areas. They could've made the harness a little longer to give you some slack.

So in effect, it wasn't "Painless" after all? :lol:

SgtHoffman Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:47 am

slugbug721 wrote: As which ones to avoid, probably the Painless wiring kit. My buddy used one and it was a real stretch getting the wires to reach certain areas. They could've made the harness a little longer to give you some slack.

Yeah I was one of those people that got suckerd in to a Painless wiring kit. They were about $99.00 and came with Lots of detailed instructions..

YEAH RIGHT

For one as mentioned by germanpride it was about a foot to short. The “Detailed Instructions” was one Piece of paper that looked like they had a monkey draw out a wiring diagram who faxed it to them and then they faxed it back to the monkey who crumpled it up and made a copy of that and then then faxed it back to painless wiring and then they crumpled it up and put it in the box with the wiring harness That was a foot too short.. it ended up costing me WAY more than I wanted in the end. I finally got soooooooo pissed of with it … It took it to a Local shop where I use to live… (Bug Craft, UT. - thanks for being so over priced) … $1100 and a really good lesson learned…. I did end up getting a good wiring harness and all new electrical parts.

But the moral of the story is… don’t buy from Painless Wiring.

gerg Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:03 am

OUCH! !! ! :shock:

BillyRx Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:27 pm

or one as mentioned by germanpride it was about a foot to short. The “Detailed Instructions” was one Piece of paper that looked like they had a monkey draw out a wiring diagram who faxed it to them and then they faxed it back to the monkey who crumpled it up and made a copy of that and then then faxed it back to painless wiring and then they crumpled it up and put it in the box with the wiring harness That was a foot too short.. it ended up costing me WAY more than I wanted in the end. I finally got soooooooo pissed of with it … It took it to a Local shop where I use to live… (Bug Craft, UT. - thanks for being so over priced) … $1100 and a really good lesson learned…. I did end up getting a good wiring harness and all new electrical parts.

But the moral of the story is… don’t buy from Painless Wiring. [/quote]

This is one of the funniest post I've read it awhile. I love the description of how well the wirnig diagram was written. Thanks Hoffman made my day :lol:

roy63 Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:21 am

Does the WIRING WORKS come in the looms like the factory loom did? Im rewiring a 63 bug and I was looking at the harness from Wolfs Burg West it seems to come in the loom I will be running the wires thru the factory locations (a,b,c pillars) and restoring the car to original/semi custom. does the Wiring works fuse panel fit in the same hole? All the wires have the protective cover over them? Correct termnial ends?

slugbug721 Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:47 am

I'll take some pics of mine tonight so you can see exactly what you get. Yes it does have the wiring loom protective wrap on the harness. It comes with the Spade, Tee and Bus connectors and a few Grommets as needed. All the wires have the correct ends already crimped on and run through the original wiring locations. As for the fuse box you use your original box. The directions are very complete and easy to understand, I think the instructions for my 72 were at least 12 pages or so long. Very detailed. Anyhow I will post a pic later.

roy63 Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:23 am

Cool thanks Ill give wire works my $ then.. thanks slugbug cool boxer!

gerg Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:58 pm

My money says that Wiring Works makes the harness that Wolfsburg West sells . . . definitely a GREAT harness.

ScrapJunkie Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:42 pm

Offhand, about how much does a wiring kit cost complete from WW?

gerg Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:50 pm

$234 . . . http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113971011E

I paid Bob $140 for mine at the Classic this year.

dstefun Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:36 pm

gblakeney wrote: My money says that Wiring Works makes the harness that Wolfsburg West sells . . . definitely a GREAT harness.

Bob makes them for most of the major parts suppliers.... and yes they are GREAT harnesses! :-) Call him - he doesn't have his own website but will deal direct.

As noted above...
2805 Kerckhooff Ave.
San Pedro, CA 90731
(310) 519-8147

slugbug721 Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:42 am

roy63 wrote: Cool thanks Ill give wire works my $ then.. thanks slugbug cool boxer!

Thanks!!! His name is Titus, he'll be 3 January 1st. I don't have kids yet so he's my "boy." He loves riding in the car plus chicks dig him :wink:
Hope the fiance doesn't read this one :roll:

I posted the pics in my Yahoo Photo Album, so just click the following link or my "WWW" below. The pics are probably at the end of the album.

C-Ya

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]