TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: PARTS CLEANER???
vdubvr6 Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:23 am

i saw a thread that concerned parts cleaner, but i have a different question? has anyone ever put a couple of gallons in a 5 gall bucket? i'd like to be able to put some of the (too big to fit in the 1 gal container) parts in a bigger space. i'd build my own strainer for it. do you think it's safe to use one of those heavy duty plastic ones, or should i be looking for something of a metal nature? thanks guys! 8)

SgtHoffman Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:31 am

My Dad got an Old Medical sink for free, it was stainless steel and he used some Old deep fryer baskets for the smaller parts. The sink had a foot petal that you'd push down to open the lid and everything .. it was awesome for cleaning parts in You should see if you can find something like that at an old surplus shop or something

TeamSpatula Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:42 am

I'd test the bucket first - some of those caustic chemicals will eat through some plastics like nothing. Different 5 gallon buckets are made from different grades/hardnesses of plastics, so check that out first. Make sure you won't have a nasty melted mess on the floor.
If you need something metal, a lot of those pretzel/popcorn tins that people give out at Christmas will hold water/liquids.

SgtHoffman Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:44 am

actully... your in UT.. my dad is in Utah.. last I heard my Uncle had the tank I'll email around and ask if they want to get rid of it..

vdubvr6 Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:49 am

thanks guys! :D i didn't even think about the popcorn can thing. still not as big as i wanted it, but that might work just fine! hoffman >> i'm cheap, so i don't want to spend alot on something like that but it is still a great idea. i will keep my eye out for something similar. thanks guys and keep the ideas coming! i'm still looking for the guy that has tried my idea with the plastic bucket. 8)

DaveM Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:52 am

Get a bucket, put a little cleaner in it and test it over the course of a week or so...