TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Puting a solex 30 in my 63
Uniballer Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:42 am

Well my stock solex 28 finaly took a dive after many years of faithfull service. So I got a solex 30 off of a 67 and now it runs fine except for I needed to take the 12v wire from the coil and put it on a port under the choke. So now my choke doesnt have power. I was just going to run another wire from the coil to the choke...but it this the right way? none of my other vws have a carb that needs 2 wires. Is this how all you 67 guys have your carb set up?

wimkever Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:40 pm

From the early sixties (I don't know the exact year) any beetle carb has two wires coming to it. Both should deliver +6 or +12 volts, depending on the year and type of the bug. One wire is for the choke, the other one is for the "idle cut-off valve". There should be a wire coming from the bobine + connection, then splitting in two wires going to the carb.
Your '63 beetle is a 6 volt type , so you might have a problem using a 12 volt carb.
grtz
Bill

Uniballer Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:20 pm

It was 6v but I converted it...I fixed it now...I took a look at a 12v setup and copyed it...the 6v must just have the one wire going to it.

TimGud Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:45 pm

Easiest way to sire that is to get a spade connecter that has two or more prongs for the + side of the coil and make a small jumper wire from the choke ,to idle seleinoid,then to the coil on the + side.

bill may Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:26 pm

take the brass object that sits where the electricle thingee is, out of 28pict and screw it into port for electrical thingee goes... sleep better at night also.