TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front End Dive
Ollie W Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:39 pm

So having my truck driving for a few months now, I've noticed that I really have to take speed bumps slow. If I'm going any faster then low 20's, the front end feels like it's going to dive into the ground.
Is this a characteristic of these vehicles or a sign of bad shocks, tires, etc. . ?

Thanks,
Chris

mintonman Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:47 pm

What is your suspension set up? Stock, lowered?? I also think you should take the speed bumps at about 5 to 10 mph, That's what they are there for. Low 20's & pedestrians don't mix.

Rex Surewood Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:25 am

:? Nobody takes speedbumps at 20 mph.. Do they?

DubStyle Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:33 am

Rex Surewood wrote: :? Nobody takes speedbumps at 20 mph.. Do they?

Yeah the Portuguese do! They hardly even slow down under 35! Me on the other hand, 1-7mph lowered Bus or Newer Pontiac doesn't matter. That shit will put serious wear and tear on your suspension.

vwkombi1966 Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:38 am

i take bumps @ around 3-5mph. don't seem to hit my head on the roof that way, and it's much easier on the suspension....

EverettB Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:41 am

Parking lots with speed bumps have speed limits under 20.

Go the speed limit or less or you deserve the damage you do to your Bus. :)

BryanM Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:29 am

the problem is that you are going to slow.
get that sucker up to about 55-60 mph and do a general lee over any obsticals in your way.

Andrew Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:58 am

Bryan's right, if you don't want to do like 5 mph, you gotta get that fucker moving. Above 50 or so, it really smoothes out over speed bumps.

mintonman Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:31 am

This post just shows what our word is coming to. speed bumps, stop signs, turn signals and many other things are no longer nessicary(dictionarys are though) cause nobody uses the or pays attention to them. You know, they're talking on the cell, to busy talking to pay attention to where they are driving. We need more roads that lead to a cliff for them to drive off of while gabbing on the brain tumer stuck on the side of their head. Hey, Why incovienance myself when I can incovienace everyone else! seems to be the logo of today.............................

P.S. I'm only 34 and feel like an old man. Paying attention to whats going on around you can really piss you off! Freaks man, There all freaks!
**Freaks are stupid, dumb, mother f'ers that should'nt be on the road**

Ollie W Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:22 pm

OK, so when I said that I was going over speed bumps at 20 mph, I meant the ones on the road that they have around here in Portland. The signs caution you to slow down to 20, but even at that speed it's a bit jarring.

My truck's stock height, but I don't think that the tires have the right sidewall stength.

Thanks for all the help.

BryanM Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:03 pm

new shocks!

VWBobby Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:29 pm

I'm in Portland, and I know what you're talking about.... I hate the freaks that do 5-10mph over the bumps!! Makes it take a good 5 mins to get down some streets in my neighborhood.

I would start with new shocks and making sure everything is fine on your bus. Jack it up and really check out the suspension wear.

The ride wont get much better because you are literally sitting on top of the tire and not between the tires like on modern cars. Any motion of the tire will go to the front beam and straight to your ass.... I would recomend a Oil Shock or GR2 KYB at the most because even they are pretty stiff compared to a 20+ year old leaking shock. If your seats have broken springs and the padding is broken down, it will make a big difference in butt comfort.