TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Valve Adjustment, how cold is cold?
Berg56oval Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:55 pm

Working on my first valve adjustment and the manual says the engine should be "dead cold", well I need to finish the work tonight so I can drive it in the morning, it has been about 8 hours since I last drove the car, is the engine cold enough yet to adjust the valves correctly?

Thanks for the input.
Mat

Glenn Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:57 pm

I usually do valve adjustments after the car sat over night. But 8 hours should be cold enough.

Berg56oval Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:06 pm

Thanks glenn
Hey since I got you, I think I have read here that you do carb rebuilds, well I have my old 30 pict 2, that I would like to rebuild and was wondering where to order the best rebuild kit from. Thanks agian.
Mat

Glenn Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:15 pm

Sorry... i rebuild the old Bosch cast iron mechanical advance distributors.

oc63rag Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:07 pm

I may be wrong, but I think the rebuild kits are pretty much all the same. They're all around the same price so I don't think the quality varies much. It's a relatively easy job and it makes a big difference.

bill may Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:11 am

best set over night cooling off -but- maximum temperature of 175 degrees fahenheight.. maxi mum.

Kris Styes Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:10 am

Drop the oil and remove the valve covers. This will speed up cooling.

LOL

Kris (Kansas)

TimGud Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:42 am

8 hours should be cool enough, overnight is guaranteed to be dead on. I have a friend who was a VW mechanic in the early 70's ,and he said that when the VW entered the shop for a valve adjustment after just being driven to the dealership the valve covers would be popped and they had a fan set-up for each head to cool them down in order to adjust them. If I remember correctly he said it took a couple of hours and then they adjusted them. I'll ask him again to make sure. I like talking to the man as he comes up with some interesting stories.