TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any type 3 owners in Chicago area?
bigedd08 Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:03 pm

I will be moving to Chicago in March and I would love to find some other people with type 3's there. ( There sure as hell aren't any here in Tennessee...... I can't believe we lost to Notre Dame today :oops: ) Anyhoo.... I will need to locate hopefully a VW club, a VW parts source ( just in case ) and just some good VW people. Maybe even a mechanic too.

Just an update..... My fasty will be painted in 2 weeks. 8)

Any info will be great!!

Russ Wolfe Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:47 pm

I am in central Iowa. Jim Adney is in Madison WI. I am sure there are other T-3's in the Chicago area.

Bobnotch Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:10 pm

I think Tom (Air Cooled Head) is out of Chicago. I'm just outside of Detroit (north & east). John J. is to my south, and Karen (Mrs. Badwrench :D ) would be toward your east. So there are some of us east of the Rocky mountains here. :shock:

Mead Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:57 pm

Im about 3 hours away from chicago in west michigan, but i bought my squareback up in milwaukee and spent the day playing in chicago with it before she ever made it to my garage.
Im pretty sure there is a vw club in chicago area.

karenw Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:10 am

Speaking of Notre Dame, I'm in Mishawaka, IN about 10 mins from South Bend. So I'm only about 2 hours out of Chicago.

Jeremy is in Michigan City, which is about an hour away from Chicago.

Welcome to the upper Midwest! You'll love Lake Michigan.

Quote: Im about 3 hours away from chicago in west michigan

Where?

Mead Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:16 pm

Muskeon, right on the lake. Its awesome. Went surfing the other day. West michigan, its the other west coast.

bigedd08 Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:43 pm

Well I'll be moving to downtown Chicago on Lakeshore Drive. In spring maybe a bunch of us can hook up and coordinate a cruise or something.

Air-Cooled Head Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:24 pm

Welcome to the area? No way I'd be moving here in March. We're only half way thru winter by then. :cry:
I think I'm the T3 owner closest to Chicago, but there are a couple few others in the area. There are usually 3 T3's at the local shows, so another would sure be welcome!
Check out our club website; HWVVC.COM

(To be fair, there are a couple of other clubs in the area, but we're more fun!)

P.S. LSD & what? Hope you can find a parking space!

bigedd08 Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:06 pm

Its between Schiller and Goethe. I've found out that the parking is a little pricey. :shock: Good thing my fasty is paid for !!! I'll give you guys a shout when I get there ,...

Air-Cooled Head Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:53 pm

bigedd08 wrote: Its between Schiller and Goethe. I've found out that the parking is a little pricey. :shock: Good thing my fasty is paid for !!! I'll give you guys a shout when I get there ,...

We call that area the "Gold Coast", so you must be kinda on the wealthy side. :lol:

Parking is pricey because free parking is non-existant. But you're moving to one of the best areas of the entire city, unless you have to drive to work.

Air-Cooled Head Wed May 18, 2005 7:38 am

Are you here, yet? :)

bigedd08 Wed May 18, 2005 8:06 am

Not yet....I've decided to finish school here where it is a little cheaper. But we should be there around the first of the year. Should I bring a light jacket? :wink:

Air-Cooled Head Wed May 18, 2005 4:08 pm

bigedd08 wrote: Not yet....I've decided to finish school here where it is a little cheaper. But we should be there around the first of the year. Should I bring a light jacket? :wink:

Actually, it feels more like winter now, than it did for most of the winter! Pretty nice the last couple days, but we didn't hit 60 all last week!

Jim Schield Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:35 pm

The NIVA club is very active here. Only a couple of Type 3's currently in the club (and a Type 34 drag racer). The VW Club of America's annual meeting is in Naperville at the end of June. I will be out of town, but it is an easy drive from Chicago, right off I-88. Check out our web site
[email protected].
See you at one of the shows!
Jim Schield
Naperville
NIVA, and Vintage VW Club
'57 Oval
'65 Type 34 (soon)