TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Year of a Bug.. have details Page: 1, 2  Next
thevanillaninja Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:05 pm

I was out bug-scouting today and found a nice car at a place called "Import Tech" and I'm going to go over there monday and see if it's for sale. I was wondering though.. from my details if we can find out the year.

It's got the big tail lights, so it's post-1970 (right?)
It's got a flat windshield, so it's pre-1973 (right?)
It doesn't have coil-overs, so it isn't a Super (that I know)

That makes it a 1971 or '72, right? It's in good condition on the outside, glossy paint, but at a repair place (hoping it was a mechanical thing) and I'm going to find out if it's for sale. Any ideas on a fair price? I didn't see any rust which I absolutely hate, so I was thinking to offer about $2500 if the chance comes up to buy it. Is that a good price? Sorry to sound like a newb but I really want a bug because I've been looking for a good non-super that isn't in Cali (since I'm in N. FL) or totally rusted out for a long time, and this is the best thing I've found in a while. Thanks

Glenn Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:08 pm

If it's a flat windshield then it's a Standard. The made Standards through 1977. If it's got Elephant foot tail lights, then it's a 73-77.

Kel Dub Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:11 pm

Personally, id rather spend $2,500 on a pre 67... but hey, do what you'd like :wink:

thevanillaninja Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:11 pm

cool, I thought they stopped making standards in like '73..

and I have had no luck finding a good pre-67 anything around here, and I'm about tired of not having a cool ACVW

jhicken Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Standards were made up until last year...

-jeffrey

Glenn Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:35 pm

jhicken wrote: Standards were made up until last year...

-jeffrey

Very true... July 2003.

Kalen1970 Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:07 pm

yo vanilla, where in N. FL are you? I"m in the tallahassee Region.

nimbus Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:22 pm

hey vanilla,

I am in Jacksonville, there are a handful of N.E. Florida people here on The Samba. I found my 67 here locally, take a look in the gallery under my name to check it out.

thevanillaninja Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:41 pm

nimbus, that's exactly what I've been looking for these past years.. a clean, rust free pre-68 but they've been so hard to find
everything seems to be in the 6-8 grand range, and that's outrageous

mind throwing out numbers of what you paid?

HotRodedXXX Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:56 pm

Hey man.

Nother Jacksonville guy here.

Check out the user UncleBob here on the forums. He has a cherry 67 for sale. He is out in middleburg.

nimbus Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:07 pm

No problem.

I paid $3500, but not completely rust free, having to replace the heater channels. Other that that not bad. Currently, its being repainted to VWBlue and I will be putting TMI bright-white interior in it once its done.

I have seen Unclebob's 67, its nice.

Euro60 Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:27 pm

thevanillaninja wrote: I was out bug-scouting today and found a nice car at a place called "Import Tech" and I'm going to go over there monday and see if it's for sale. I was wondering though.. from my details if we can find out the year.

It's got the big tail lights, so it's post-1970 (right?)
It's got a flat windshield, so it's pre-1973 (right?)
It doesn't have coil-overs, so it isn't a Super (that I know)

That makes it a 1971 or '72, right? It's in good condition on the outside, glossy paint, but at a repair place (hoping it was a mechanical thing) and I'm going to find out if it's for sale. Any ideas on a fair price? I didn't see any rust which I absolutely hate, so I was thinking to offer about $2500 if the chance comes up to buy it. Is that a good price? Sorry to sound like a newb but I really want a bug because I've been looking for a good non-super that isn't in Cali (since I'm in N. FL) or totally rusted out for a long time, and this is the best thing I've found in a while. Thank

Depends what you mean by "big tailights"
Theres been atleast half a dozen tailight styles on these cars since they came out. Even tailights on a 63 are big compared to the little glass ones on my 60, and those are big compared to the little round ones on split window. And even still that doesnt really tell you the year because the parts can be changed out so easily anyhow.
With the hood closed, is there a round hole below the hood? That would mean its atleast 68 or newer. If the hood extends down to about an inch or so from the bottom of the apron, its 67 or older.
Does it have the black plastic half moon things behind the rear side windows? I don't know when those started, but it was in the 70s. I dont *think* my 70 had back in the day had them(I cut that area out for some Empi scoops).

thevanillaninja Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:36 pm

The taillights were the "elephant foot" style, and the car had the half-moon vents on it.

I've seen UncleBob's car and as nice at is, it's a little out of my budget. If he happens to read this, it's a very nice car and I compliment him on it.

bill may Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:40 pm

the black 67 in my avatar cost $800.there are 67 and older for $1200- 1800 but shipping to florida?? no ide no rust here also.

69calibug Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:47 pm

My Beetle was shipped to NY from California for about $1k, it's probably a little more now but not much. It's worth the extra grand to have all the bolts come off easy, and not finding hidden rust all over, plus the cars are way cheaper to start with. If you really want a pre-68, don't settle, get exactly what you want the first time 8)

thevanillaninja Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:40 pm

I came up with this plan, not sure if it will ever work (out)

2 weeks vacation to New Mexico:
1 week, find & fix up an ACVW
1 week, drive it back 1500 miles to FL

anybody ever try anything like this?

HotRodedXXX Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:51 pm

Are the savings really that much?

There is a 67 that has been sitting out in my neighbors yard for like 2 years. It hasnt moved once. I'll go scout it out.

69calibug Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:29 am

thevanillaninja wrote: I came up with this plan, not sure if it will ever work (out)

2 weeks vacation to New Mexico:
1 week, find & fix up an ACVW
1 week, drive it back 1500 miles to FL

anybody ever try anything like this?
If you are experienced at working on these cars, go for it. Thats a long way to drive an unfamiliar old car. But that would be a fun experience 8)

UncleBob Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:43 am

thevanillaninja wrote: The taillights were the "elephant foot" style, and the car had the half-moon vents on it.

I've seen UncleBob's car and as nice at is, it's a little out of my budget. If he happens to read this, it's a very nice car and I compliment him on it.

Thanks for the props vanillaninja. The first guy that came and look at the '67 is buying it. He's a N.Florida guy as well, so hopefully we'll see it around some.

Where's 'Import Tech' at? Maybe you could find something at Bug-Jam this weekend?

my65vert Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:23 am

How much do you want to spend and where in N. Florida are you? I can find you one if you want. Mike.