TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 332, 333, 334 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
serviceman707 Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:19 pm

With any sort of luck I hope to be able to aquire another bus for shasta and be able to get it ready for this years trip. I am still hopefull but loosing hope by the day.

NorCalWeekender Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:21 pm

You can doooo eeeeet!

serviceman707 Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:01 pm

NorCalRiviera wrote: You can doooo eeeeet!
I wouldnt count on it Taylor. But thanks for the kind words

NorCalWeekender Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Always, man. If you can't, then get serious about co-pilot status!

serviceman707 Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:53 pm

NorCalRiviera wrote: Always, man. If you can't, then get serious about co-pilot status!
I dont no if it would be as much fun being co-pilot.. LOL.. I might just have to because I dont no if I can not go. Been two great back to back years.

NorCalWeekender Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:18 pm

serviceman707 wrote: NorCalRiviera wrote: Always, man. If you can't, then get serious about co-pilot status!
I dont no if it would be as much fun being co-pilot.. LOL.. I might just have to because I dont no if I can not go. Been two great back to back years.

Just think about it, man! You can almost hear the alien lizard guys under the mountain calling you back... ;)

bad dog racing Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:36 am

Always thrilled to see this thread pop back up to the top.

serviceman707 Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Hey Greg did Andy ever give you your starter back at sac nag? If not let me no I'll have to get on him.

unclespanky Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:20 am

bad dog racing wrote: Always thrilled to see this thread pop back up to the top.

Is that que waiting on fresh baked cake?? Looks like Johny lost his lighter again.

norcalmike Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:37 am

Well, its time I introduce myself and my Shasta Bus. I am Norcalmike, driver of team...???

so far I have her titled and registered. i have collected most of the missing parts. Headlights, taillights, rear bumper, rear apron, turn signal switch, speedometer and cargo door handle. and most of the new brake parts.

thanks to Jeremy at Team Surfcity, i have a big nut trans. I am trying to finish building a new engine but if i cant get it done, i got a runner out of my baja that will do fine.

This badboy is still at Skinner Classics as of now. My plans is to have it towed up to my little shop up in Shingle Springs where i will begin feverishly working on her when i can ( I live and work in San Jose).

I have been wanting to join a Shasta Trip ever since I helped Team Norcalrelics get his panel camper on the road 2 years ago. Now it's my turn.

Any advise from the seasoned veterans is surely welcome.

crofty Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 am

norcalmike wrote:

Any advise from the seasoned veterans is surely welcome.

Expect chaos, embrace fortuitousness, and get your ride in the best shape you can.

Oh, and you should have hit up the %50 off sale at Patagonia but there's a good chance there won't be any snow anyway! I have some important trip extras to lend if you need them.

norcalmike Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 am

i thought a vintage cooler full of microbrews and a hoodie was all i would need

crofty Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 am

norcalmike wrote: i thought a vintage cooler full of microbrews and a hoodie was all i would need

That's a good start for just about anything!

NorCalWeekender Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:56 pm

crofty wrote: norcalmike wrote: i thought a vintage cooler full of microbrews and a hoodie was all i would need

That's a good start for just about anything!

It's definitely how most Shasta Trips start!

And I know everyone has their lists of what needs to be brought, what you should bring, what's fun to bring (like, a cannon Johnny-o!), and so on and so forth.

I learned a ton my first trip...2008, the snowiest of snow trips...and was way better prepared for 2010. Then I learned stuff that year that I implemented in 2011.

Start hunting up that vintage Cobra 29 on Craigslist, tho. Score a working mag-mount antenna, too. ;)

But first and foremost, I'd say never drive too far outside your comfort zone. Don't feel like you've gotta keep up with the guys who've done this trip every single year and know these roads like the veins in their hands...that's how you end up doing a 343 Roll and getting an exciting helicopter ride.

NorCalWeekender Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:44 am

I dunno about the rest of the newts, but my Shastamind has come out of hibernation. As of today, Team Trail's End is in for Shasta XIII.

Assuming this year mimics last year: Jan 31 - Feb 3, 2013.

Projects (save for minor adjustments/tune up) to accomplish before then:

Adjust clutch
Install new mud flaps
Install oil temp gauge
Tweak with fuel pressure
Install Type 3 twin carbs

I'm sure there are some others I can't remember right now.

Who else is in and what do you need to accomplish?

bad dog racing Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:04 pm

I'll go if the Honey Badgers go.

NorCalWeekender Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:02 pm

bad dog racing wrote: I'll go if the Honey Badgers go.

*huff* I see how it is...I'm not good enough anymore. :P

Totally kidding...I'd be shocked if the whole Honey Badger crew doesn't come out in force!

norcalmike Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 am

Taking my case and CW crank to Jim at NAPA in Santa Cruz for a little love. I have collected all other parts for my engine build including a rebuilt German 30 PICT1 carb, 019 Screamer Distributor, fresh SP German heads and Mahle 85.5 pistons and cylinders. I hope to have the engine complete and ready to test run in 3 weeks.
I wont bother to individually list all I need to do. I need everything! LOL!
I am building this not only for Shasta but my all around "superbus" for camping and road trip adventures on my days off.
I hope to make its maiden voyage by the end of October so I have plenty of time to work out the "bugs" well before departure day. I want to be part of the early crew and not the last minute crew.
This bus was left for dead decades ago. I am excited to give it a new life and break it in proper on an epic adventure.
Maybe I can earn my Honey Badger status and bust my cherry on the same trip. :wink:

woodslat Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 am

norcalmike wrote: I hope to make its maiden voyage by the end of October so I have plenty of time to work out the "bugs" well before departure day. I want to be part of the early crew and not the last minute crew.

Driving it to the wrenching parties is always a plus! Glad to have you on board my brother!

woodslat Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:27 am

serviceman707 wrote: With any sort of luck I hope to be able to aquire another bus for shasta and be able to get it ready for this years trip. I am still hopefull but loosing hope by the day.

Too bad you weren't able to keep your Shasta accomplished bus, two years in a row she got you back home!