TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
lchang003 Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:21 am

Thank you Brian for the kind words.

Credit goes to Andy as he does all the GoPro and Camera pics, I do the editing and sifting of 40g. :-) We are new to this, but both feel that this was the best video yet... Andy also picked the music for this video. We had a blast reliving our Shasta trip and hope many of you enjoy what we saw.

Looking forward to 2015!

crofty Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:42 am

kombisutra wrote:

I will continue to run a tight fire team concept for my SSTs, and if I'm in a position to help others, I will. In metaphorical terms, just never forget what happens to the puddle after the beginning of the race...

I proposed the pod concept after the 2005 run and was greeted with an ear full of pissing and moaning. Look on the Yahoo list- pretty entertaining exchanges amongst "friends".

Lances suggestion sounds fun. I'd almost consider driving up there just to drive down with that group!

Clara Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:07 am

Mr. Armstrong wrote: . "The trip is what you make of it" is a great line that always comes to heart for me.
As for me and this trip I think it needs a different view, some of us from the North would love for you guys and gals to see the backroads down to Shasta. A new view maybe a new trip too. I'd like to see two pods with one goal Shasta. The Rampage Spot will always be The Rampage Spot. For next year I'm going to put together a route that goes South from Oregon to Shasta. Maybe even try to get the two pods of Buggy Vans to meet in the mountains before we get to Shasta.

Just my 2 cents, Mr. Armstrong

As for next year I'm in!

I've been thinking the same thing!
I've done some backroads driving here and there,
But it is more entertaining for a bunch of split bus people actually using our split buses to do awesome adventures, together, with these 50ish year old VWs with the running gear designed for a cheap delivery van/ farm truck sold in the middle of the last century.
It is not about the image of the bus, as so much these days is about image.
It is about what the bus DOES.
Sorry to miss SST this year. I like Lance's idea. Just never got it together to propose or organize something like that. Go Lance!

Oregon at 2500 feet Jan 1st 2014
Does this make you wonder what is around the next corner?

kombisutra Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:44 am

crofty wrote:
Lances suggestion sounds fun. I'd almost consider driving up there just to drive down with that group!
Clara wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing! I like Lance's idea. Just never got it together to propose or organize something like that. Go Lance!

So stoked to hear the positive waves on what really IS the next evolution of the trip. To tell you the truth, I would actually be pretty stoked to take a trip south out of Oregon too! I'm sure the roads you could link together would be amazing, and, I'm sure there would be a whole bunch more drivers from the north willing to do it. 12 months to work out the details Mr. Armstrong. If you can deliver the mail, you can deliver the roads!

badfish Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:21 am

kombisutra wrote: crofty wrote:
Clara wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing! I like Lance's idea. Just never got it together to propose or organize something like that. Go Lance!

So stoked to hear the positive waves on what really IS the next evolution of the trip. To tell you the truth, I would actually be pretty stoked to take a trip south out of Oregon too! I'm sure the roads you could link together would be amazing, and, I'm sure there would be a whole bunch more drivers from the north willing to do it. 12 months to work out the details Mr. Armstrong. If you can deliver the mail, you can deliver the roads!

I like all the ideas flowing. We are new and dont have much say, but the ideas are amazing

bad dog racing Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:54 pm

badfish wrote:

Tbis was our second year. We had a blast. I like the idea Lou posted about 5-10 bus pods...

In other news... Here is our video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csR2Q6j3w44&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Awesome vid! Watched it 3 times already and hope you might be able to burn me a DVD so I can enjoy it on a big screen with a rocking sound system.

You guys had one of the most amazing SST's ever captured and shared. Just like the saying goes...."It is what you make it", and you made it BadAss!
You did some of the most impossible and demanding roads the path to Shasta has to offer, and who know's if they will ever be able to be retraced again this time of year.
So much for the "chose to avoid danger routes" theory.

Love the post trip you did with the visits to Eskimo Pass, Bernal Falls, and the historic Speak Easy/Watering Hole. Would have been nice to have re-grouped to do Usal, Lost Coast, King's Range, and Tomki Road with you. Maybe next year we can give more thought to post trip.

IMHO, I think you were one of the most prepared teams I've ever seen. You ran a flawless program and it is quite obvious in the video. I caught and admired many little things down to the focus and positioning of your off-road lights!
Simply put, very impressive.

Of course, these are only one man's opinion....but given the chance, I hope to roll with you again next year on SST XV!!

lchang003 Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:00 pm

Thank you Greg. You have been a great mentor for us and helped in so many ways, this yr and last. We try and run the best program we can and are very pleased how DD did. She was our rockstar this year.

Oh and I will try to burn you a DVD. :D

badfish Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:12 pm

bad dog racing wrote: badfish wrote:

Tbis was our second year. We had a blast. I like the idea Lou posted about 5-10 bus pods...

In other news... Here is our video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csR2Q6j3w44&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Awesome vid! Watched it 3 times already and hope you might be able to burn me a DVD so I can enjoy it on a big screen with a rocking sound system.

You guys had one of the most amazing SST's ever captured and shared. Just like the saying goes...."It is what you make it", and you made it BadAss!
You did some of the most impossible and demanding roads the path to Shasta has to offer, and who know's if they will ever be able to be retraced again this time of year.
So much for the "chose to avoid danger routes" theory.

Love the post trip you did with the visits to Eskimo Pass, Bernal Falls, and the historic Speak Easy/Watering Hole. Would have been nice to have re-grouped to do Usal, Lost Coast, King's Range, and Tomki Road with you. Maybe next year we can give more thought to post trip.

IMHO, I think you were one of the most prepared teams I've ever seen. You ran a flawless program and it is quite obvious in the video. I caught and admired many little things down to the focus and positioning of your off-road lights!
Simply put, very impressive.

Of course, these are only one man's opinion....but given the chance, I hope to roll with you again next year on SST XV!!

Thank you Greg. Like Lita said you have been a great mentor. We have a lot of great friends and SST mentors from you to skinner, d-Bo, Ross, Johnny O ect...I can't name them all. All we try to do is make sure we listen to all the more experienced SST drivers and absorb all ideas and make them our own.

Thank you All for letting us take part in this adventure. We love it and are hooked for life!

Mr. Armstrong Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Okay, okay, I'm on it! Miles and Miles of backroads up here and no Sheriff after 6pm. State Troopers only patrol main roads and only go off road if someone is being killed, it's sweet! I've got friends that work in Forestry that can tell me what roads are gated(not many up here) Would depend on the snow fall too, some of the passes into Cali are pretty high but passable. We could drop down into Happy Camp and then into Hoopa, just some ideas going on in my head for now. It would be a different trip for sure, Southern Oregon back country is very raw and wild!

Need to start looking at them maps!

Over and Out, Mr. Armstrong

C.Moore Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:02 am

My daughter Maureen wrote an article about the SST-14 for her newspaper in Willits, that came out today. It may be viewed on line at
http://willitsweekly.com/documents/WillitsWeekly_02132014_Pages.pdf

kombisutra Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:02 pm

I'm not savvy with saving and posting PDF Files, but the story and pictures are pretty good! Thank you Maureen Moore! Anyone who can post this PDF story and pictures, please do! Thanks.

badfish Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:09 pm

kombisutra wrote: I'm not savvy with saving and posting PDF Files, but the story and pictures are pretty good! Thank you Maureen Moore! Anyone who can post this PDF story and pictures, please do! Thanks.

I have a pic of the article but when i try to upload i get an error saying the gallery is full or something close to that

EverettB Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:31 pm

badfish wrote: kombisutra wrote: I'm not savvy with saving and posting PDF Files, but the story and pictures are pretty good! Thank you Maureen Moore! Anyone who can post this PDF story and pictures, please do! Thanks.

I have a pic of the article but when i try to upload i get an error saying the gallery is full or something close to that

Gallery glitch - it is working now.
You cannot post PDFs here but I can upload it to this site if you email it to me.
Or host it elsewhere, I think you can post in your Google Docs if you have a standard Google account?

Alan Brase Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:12 pm

crofty wrote: joe cool wrote: C.Moore wrote: After sitting in my yard for years, isn't it time (at least out of respect) to get your truck "Old Blue" back on the road? With out him no adventure, no SST-1. You don't need to do a Glide King / funky truck restoration (even though it would be nice) but at least get him on the ground and running well. I am sure you'll get help. There a lot of talented SSTers out there. I'm game.
BE SAFE over there........................ C.Moore

Count me in. I have a 40hp and a bunch of 6V electrical to donate if useful.

I gave Brian a buttload of 40hp parts a few years back myself.

When could we expect Christopher on the SST? :) That would mean no garage in Willits of course but...
So, as a wannabe, I wonder:
What engines are being used? Mostly 1600's or 40hp? Anyone making the SST with 36hp?
Is there any advantage to a bigger engine, other than speed?
Al

kombisutra Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:37 am

Good to hear from you Al.

I don't recall anyone actually rocking a 36 on the trip yet, but that's sure not because the trip presents anything out of a 36 motor's ability. I almost ran one back in 2005, but blew it up the day before the trip and scurried fast for a good 40 horse. I'm a strong proponent of less is more, and I intend to be running a 36 on the trip in the future.

A big deal though, is having your own spares. If you don't carry em, and you're rocking a 36 or even a 40, you'll be on your own for a spare engine or parts, since the common spares on the trip will be 1600 engines and tunnel transaxles.

In light of this, running the real vintage equipment makes the trip even that much more satisfying since you are truly relying on your own contingency planning, your skillful use of less power and the pure soul of your right, proper, and original bus. I'm right there with you! Hope to be along side you with my 36 in 11 months.

sideshow Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:29 am

It is the traditional type of motor sport, first you must finish. The roads are rough and traction limited. Their is an actual drawback to big motors, you can run long roads with bad dog, and be close enough to hear his exhaust at full db.

Use something that works, when cold, when wet, at low speeds, and at altitude.

badfish Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Here is the screen shot of the SST Aritcle

bad dog racing Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Great article!

SurfCityRacing Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:12 pm

kombisutra wrote:
In light of this, running the real vintage equipment makes the trip even that much more satisfying since you are truly relying on your own contingency planning, your skillful use of less power and the pure soul of your right, proper, and original bus.

Meh...

There's nothing like running all out up Round Valley Road at dawn doing 70mph with Bad Dog fast approaching! Takes HP to pull Mendo Pass! :lol:

69doublecab wrote:
Al

I've run the trip with stock 1600s, 1776s, and a 2110. It's always different. I think that 1776ccs is the best choice for an all around engine for Shasta...bigger, and you greatly increase your chances of breaking things (axles, trannys, etc).

lchang003 Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:37 pm

69doublecab wrote: crofty wrote: joe cool wrote: C.Moore wrote: After sitting in my yard for years, isn't it time (at least out of respect) to get your truck "Old Blue" back on the road? With out him no adventure, no SST-1. You don't need to do a Glide King / funky truck restoration (even though it would be nice) but at least get him on the ground and running well. I am sure you'll get help. There a lot of talented SSTers out there. I'm game.
BE SAFE over there........................ C.Moore

Count me in. I have a 40hp and a bunch of 6V electrical to donate if useful.

I gave Brian a buttload of 40hp parts a few years back myself.

When could we expect Christopher on the SST? :) That would mean no garage in Willits of course but...
So, as a wannabe, I wonder:
What engines are being used? Mostly 1600's or 40hp? Anyone making the SST with 36hp?
Al

We run A 1641 SP w 100 cam. A little on the slower side, but did great on fuel and she can climb a steady pace.