TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 448, 449, 450, 451, 452, 453  Next
Daddybus Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:10 pm

What are the dates for SST 2017?

Mr. Armstrong Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:35 pm

Shasta Snow Trip 2017 February 1-5, 2017.
Oregon Start.
Same backgrounds adventure just be ready for something different.

February 1 Wednesday
Pre-trip campout at my place in Southern Oregon.
This will allow last minute fixes and getting gear ready.

February 2 Thursday
Leave for Rampage Spot in Oregon back country.
Camp and normal Rampage Spot shenanigans.
Local to be announced.

February 3 Friday
Pre dawn wake-up.
Start your engines and go!
Heading south into California via backroads.
Camp out coastal or riverside, deep Northern California.

February 4 Saturday
Drive backroads to the Forks of the Salmon and drop into Shasta hopefully in the daylight!
Hotel it Saturday night.

February 5 Sunday
Play in the snow or head home.

Over and Out, Mr. Armstrong

kombisutra Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:36 am

Thank you Lance and the other salty drivers for taking the helm, keeping the enthusiasm for Split Bus adventure, and creating a much needed new adventure for 2017. I'm out for this year as my rotation has me arriving home mid March. Will be watching the whole thing unfold from here.

Who's got a bus report?

badfish Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:19 am

Do we have a list of drivers yet?

Lita and I are getting DD ready...

joe cool Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Open to all '67 and earlier buses.
Mr. stock bus will do just fine, you do not need a custom off-road bus.
No bus left behind. We are in this together. Join us.

Alan Brase Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:03 am

How much snow on Mt. Shasta? Is this trip gonna be possible?
Al

badfish Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am

Hope everyone is ready! We will see you tomorrow at Lances house!

kombisutra Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Current update on the trip:

All drivers from Colorado, Arizona and Washington now closing in on the starting point. Seven drivers heading north up 5 are currently stopped at Wolfgang International in Redding telling Steve how much he's been missing in his back yard over the last 17 years. Rumored to be a small turnout this year, I'll try to update here as news comes in, currently sitting this one out in Bagram Afg.

Pretty close to real-time updates occur at the SST Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/111172605578546/

sideshow Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:05 pm

My favorite picture from this year. The media cirrus assembles across the road, Cool Joe’s Mural Bus, Parks & Recreation’s most wanted hoodlum (Rusty Bus operator and picture taker), and the rookie driver of the event (Drove a long distance, Overcame broken axle, Preformed like a veteran, and Outclassed everybody at the second stop of the post trip at that Mexican place next door to the Inn).

The more more boring front view after crossing the Oregon border but before entering the mountains and Highway 3

For me, anther epic SST!

rustybus Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:48 am

Nice caption on that shot. It was a great year.

kombisutra Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:08 am

The 2018 Shasta Snow Trip:

Start Time/Dates For Or.& Ca: 0420 Thursday, February 1st through Sunday.

Hope this year finds more new faces and deserving buses.

Stoked to say I'll be home from the AFG and will be driving the trip in my first bus, the bus of my indoctrination, the 59' Single Cab, Old Blue. Last driven on the SST 2005, I'll have 30 days to bring him back on line, starting with a "Drive Out" from where he's sat in Willits for at least ten years.

Who the heck is also coming out of their SST Hibernation? Who is the worthy bus YOU'RE driving? Rattle some chains drivers... let's get this damn thing back on the road!

Alan Brase Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 pm

kombisutra wrote: The 2018 Shasta Snow Trip:

Start Time/Dates For Or.& Ca: 0420 Thursday, February 1st through Sunday.

Hope this year finds more new faces and deserving buses.

Stoked to say I'll be home from the AFG and will be driving the trip in my first bus, the bus of my indoctrination, the 59' Single Cab, Old Blue. Last driven on the SST 2005, I'll have 30 days to bring him back on line, starting with a "Drive Out" from where he's sat in Willits for at least ten years.

Who the heck is also coming out of their SST Hibernation? Who is the worthy bus YOU'RE driving? Rattle some chains drivers... let's get this damn thing back on the road!
I'm hoping to do the same thing with my 1956 single cab. Last driven 1961. I think that works out to 57years hibernation. 56 if I hurry and get it done in 2 months.
Not sure the best way to outfit a single cab for SST. Bows and a tilt would be nice. Maybe just a tent and electric socks?
Probably not my next worry. Tires, brake lines master cylinder. Tranny rebuild. A couple rust repairs on the floor. A quart of dove blue tinted to match fade...
Al
Al

joe cool Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:16 pm

I love the smell of burning oil in the morning.

1/ Team Kombisutra 1959 Singlecab truck Old Blue Marin County, CA
2/ Joe Cool 1966 Kombi mural bus Yolo County, CA

kombisutra Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:21 am

[quote="Alan Brase"] kombisutra wrote: The 2018 Shasta Snow Trip:

I'm hoping to do the same thing with my 1956 single cab. Last driven 1961. I think that works out to 57years hibernation. 56 if I hurry and get it done in 2 months.
Not sure the best way to outfit a single cab for SST. Bows and a tilt would be nice. Maybe just a tent and electric socks?
Probably not my next worry. Tires, brake lines master cylinder. Tranny rebuild. A couple rust repairs on the floor. A quart of dove blue tinted to match fade...
Al
Al

Hi Al, good to be back on thesamba and see all the bus people again.

Yes, your amazing early single cab... very, very cool. If you were really into the strong idea of backing your motivation to bring the great old truck back online using the 2018 SST as your true date/goal, this year's SST would become all that much more awesome! Happy to say Greg from Texas used the SST as his goal to get his bus online, a dozen or more others have done it, and alongside you and Greg, I'll be doing the same thing.

Signing on a copilot teammate is one of my highest suggestions, because their motivation also comes with the function of kicking us in the ass towards fully mission capable status.

Your comments about the more important projects coming first is, of course, logical, but due to the fact that it's a single cab, that list should include your tarp and bows and the survivable living quarters within. Comfort is one of the hardest things to pull-off travelling and camping with a single cab. At least you'll have little problems getting a top-notch tarp and bows set up to keep yourself, and everything on your bed dry. 8) I will be considering my options for covered space, but having no gates on Old Blue requires outside the box innovative thinking.

Al, it would be an honor to have you driving with us on the trip this year. I can assure you your hard work to do so would be rewarding on so many levels. Motivation for drivers to resurrect their old buses and have the absolutely epic reward of a solid driving adventure as the goal has been one of my top reasons for creating this event.

Al... go to the old truck. Close your eyes, open your hands and hold it. Talk to it. Be together. YOU were chosen by the truck Al. You were chosen.

Now do. Begin now.

kombisutra Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks Joe!

The Driver Team List:

1)Team Kombisutra, Brian, 1959 Singlecab truck Old Blue Marin County, CA
2)Joe Cool 1966 Kombi mural bus, Yolo County, CA
3)Team Texas, Greg, 1959 Kombi/camper, Elgin, Texas
4)Team Iowa, Al Brase, 1956 Single Cab Truck

5) (Copy edit post)

rustybus Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:03 pm

I guess I'll show up again.

The Driver Team List:

5)Rustybus, Richard Kimbrough, 1961 Ragtop Standard

6) (Copy edit post)

deadwesty Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:00 pm

kombisutra wrote: Who the heck is also coming out of their SST Hibernation? Who is the worthy bus YOU'RE driving? Rattle some chains drivers... let's get this damn thing back on the road!

I am out of 4 years hibernation too! You can guess which bus I am taking! :twisted:

derRHDmeister Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 pm

*updated*

The Driver Team List:

5)Rustybus, Richard Kimbrough, 1961 Ragtop Standard
6)The Beauty, Pilot Clint & CoPilot Darrell, Auburn/Riverside CA

7) (Copy edit post)

joe cool Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:25 pm

I believe it is a Rustybus photo.

rustybus Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 am

You are correct. It is one of my photos.

joe cool wrote:

I believe it is a Rustybus photo.