TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 69 Beetle Heater Problems
stew_1962 Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:48 pm

I bought a 69 Beetle a couple of months ago, heater was cannibalized. I had to replace one of the heat exchangers and the fan shroud - somebody put one in without heater ducts... put in all the hoses, etc.

Now, the questions:

1 - Under the rear seat, I've fabricated ducts to connect the supply from the heat exchangers to both the heater channel to the front and the outlets in the back seat, essentially a "Y". I have no control boxes that connect to the left hand control lever. How well is this going to work? I'm expecting that I'm not going to have much defroster (like it works that well to begin with). Where do I get these parts?

2. The heater control cables aren't long enough (Maybe an inch short), I have to pull the flaps on the heat exchangers closed to hook them up. I haven't yet taken the control lever out to see if there is a problem in there. Anybody have any clues why they are so hort?

3. In the front, under the hood hinges, there is a hose that comes up and has a three-way "Y". One continues on up into the A pillar, it is still there. One of these has to go to the outlet in the center of the windshield, (got the 1" hoses on the way from CIP). Now, where does the 3rd one go?

TimGud Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:13 pm

First question: That setup will work ok but the control valves would make it alot better when using the defrost. Try and pick them up in the classifieds.
2.I have had cables that were cut for some reason or they forgot to disconnect them when removing the engine and snapped them off. Either rig up a short extension throttle cable (sand rail universal throttle cable), coat hanger extension (I know it's ghetto but it will work) or replace the heater cables.
3.Someone else will have to answer the defrost question. What I remember is the tube from the heater channle goes to the corner defrost vent on each side and one tube goes from each Y at the corner to the fresh air box in the center.