TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Does anyone have a picture of... Page: 1, 2  Next
Big Fat Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:23 am

The new version of ISP West's hide-away exhaust actually installed on a car? Oh, and is it safe/beneficial to wrap the headers if they're ceramic coated?

Thanks!

Mr. Bubblehead Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:38 am

Wrapping the header will help keep the engine compartment cool.

TimGud Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:20 am

The ceramic headers actually radiate alot less heat than those that aren't coated. You may not need to wrap them at all.

Phatusatus Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:52 pm

Yo Pimpride...

Show us a picture that has the new exhaust on it...please.

Bryan67 Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:44 pm

Header wrap retains water and will make your exhaust rust out.

Mr. Bubblehead Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:02 pm

Bryan67 wrote: Header wrap retains water and will make your exhaust rust out.

Uh, I beg to differ. I've been using header wrap on my exhausts and heat exchangers for years and I've not had anything rust out yet. I rebuilt my engine last year and the paint underneath the wrap still looked like new.

Bryan67 Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:04 am

I have never used it but have heard this from several people. So I could`nt really say.

typfasty Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:21 pm

Wouldn't the heat from the header get rid of any water issues...

Russ Wolfe Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:28 pm

Isn't the idea to get heat away from the engine/exhaust, and not hold it in??
Also, The ceramic/porcelein coatings were tried by VW back in 1966. They put some mufflers on the T-1 from the factory, and they didn't seem to last any longer than the regular mufflers. All it takes is one rock chip, and the coating starts to come off.
If you want an exhuast system to last, go with 409 stainless steel. That is what most modern exhausts are made of. My header "Y"pipe on my '92 Dakota pickup are still going strong after 160K miles. It has gone thru 3 Midas mufflers.

Mr. Bubblehead Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:05 pm

typfasty wrote: Wouldn't the heat from the header get rid of any water issues...

Yes, I think that the heat evaporates the water rather quickly. If the car is not driven on a regular basis and it is outside in a humid climate there could be some rust formation from water in the exhaust wrap, though.

PIMPPRIDE Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:22 pm

Phatusatus wrote: Yo Pimpride...

Show us a picture that has the new exhaust on it...please.

just added ceramic coated photos to the add... will try to get installed photos ASAP... :lol:

Anthony / ISP WEST

Stevie Hall Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:41 am

Hello Anthony! I've mine ordered with you along with a few other goodies. I'm looking forward to seeing it installed and am bursting to hear what it sounds like! 8) Thanks for your help.

PIMPPRIDE Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:13 pm

Big Fat wrote: The new version of ISP West's hide-away exhaust actually installed on a car?

raw header & muffler installed in a squareback... the apron is strait as original...

Anthony / ISP WEST

Notched Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:17 pm

Looks great Anthony!

Is the muffler available without the header?

PIMPPRIDE Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:26 pm

Notched wrote: Looks great Anthony!

Is the muffler available without the header?

no sorry, its sold as one unit, as the header is specific to the muffler, plus we made identical runs of each header & muffler, and are pre packaged ready to ship...

Anthony / ISP WEST

Big Fat Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:56 pm

Wow that looks so awesome... too bad the previous owner of my car cut the apron off to fit the Dual QPs.

Regardless I hope to order this soon and hopefully one day find a replacement apron.

Thanks for the pic!

Big Fat Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:48 am

Hey Anthony, how loud is this system? Any idea how it compares sound-wise to the dual-quiet packs I have on my car now?

Big Fat Tue May 17, 2005 8:24 am

Big Fat wrote: Hey Anthony, how loud is this system? Any idea how it compares sound-wise to the dual-quiet packs I have on my car now?

Bump for this question. :)

PIMPPRIDE Tue May 17, 2005 8:48 am

this system sounds similar to a single quiet pack... but without that tin hollow sound, this muffler actually has packing in it, and the sound will differ depending on your engine size & carburetors...

Anthony / ISP WEST

vwfye Tue May 17, 2005 11:55 am

do you have any plans to put htis out in a 1.5 I.D. system with J tubes?