TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Left light on the speedo won't turn off...help
Eddie4 Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:03 pm

Newbie here - needs a little help. I've got a 64 bus, when I turn on the engine and the bus is running. On the speedo the left light comes on (but not all the time). There is the left light (GEN?), center (High Beam?), right (OIL?) is that correct?

Well my problem is almost everytime I drive the bus the left light on the speedo comes on (again not all the time though-8 out of 10 it will come on) when I start the engine and drive it. I do not have any charging problems at all (the bus starts up instantly all the time). I'm trying to figure out how this light goes away once the bus is started. "Questions" - Is this grounded right? How do I check if it grounded right. What causes this-a short? Do I need a new gen? Any help or ideas out there would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

cyberdyne systems 101 Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:16 am

Yes this is your gen light, which is supposed to show its charging or not, it is conected to the regulator and if it stays on when you switch off it means the points in the regulator are stuck together, if it comes on when u start and remains on then the fault either lays in the regulator or the light circuit itself, you seem to have found that the charging is ok so at best its an annoying thing but does no real harm apart from not allowing you to be sure if its charging or the fan belt snaps which again would normally put the light on in the speedo.

I'll see if I can look up some of the causes and give some pointers

Arnie

Eric&Barb Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:40 am

Eddie4 wrote: There is the left light (GEN?), center (High Beam?), right (OIL?) is that correct?

Hi Eddie4,
First you really need to get John muirs "Idiot Manual" and better yet a Bentley reprint of the "Workshop Manual Volkswagen Transporter" ASAP. Next disconnect the wire at the oil pressure idiot sender, and do not let it ground on the engine. Turn the ignition key to run position and see which light stays dark. The reason for this test is some DPO could have reversed the lights in the speedo long ago.
Eric&Barb

Eddie4 Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:44 pm

Arnie, Thanks.. yeah your right it is annoying more than anything. I'm just trying to work out the bugs - you know when you get a new (old) vehicle. I look forward to see if you can find a few pointers for me ...-Thanks again

Buckly Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:35 pm

Make sure your gen belt is just right, as in, not to loose, and of course, not to tight.