TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: single port head
Mr. Twisted Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:26 pm

Anyone know of a good source for a single port head. New, not re-built. I'm shopping around, looking for advice. Mine dropped an exhaust seat. I thought I had one but I was told they were no longer available from the supplier. Who makes them, and how much? Thanks for any input.

Miguel Arroyo Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:44 pm

Try BFY at http://www.bfyobsoleteparts.com/volkswagen/beetle/...-1862.html

Andrew Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:35 pm

California Import Parts carries them. www.cip1.com

Mr. Twisted Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:03 pm

Thanks Andrew, CIP has the best price so far. Should I do a re-built? OR is it better to do a new one, anyone? The engine it's going on has around 20,000mi. on it.

Buckly Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:34 pm

If the heads are rebuilt right they are just as good, maybe better then new.

auslander Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:11 am

I had my heads completely rebuilt by DRD, they came out sweet, had stainless steel valves(manley), performance single sprinds, and chromoly retainers. Had a two angle valve job done on them. It cost about 170 and were ready in a week :shock: I also got the specs on the chambers and a suggested compression ratio from Darren, hes very passionate about head building and loves what he does. I will take some pics and post them later

auslander Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:24 pm

Hear they are

Mr. Twisted Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:46 pm

Those look awesome, where is DRD? Was 170 for the pair? Where is that single port manifold from, are you using it in a Bus, and did you fabricate them, or does someone offer them?

Andrew Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:17 pm

Those are some old school single port dual carb manifolds. You can see them semi regularly in the classifieds here. Usually around $40 for the pair, unless you get lucky.

Mr. Twisted Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:48 pm

I've seen them before but with an equalizer tube of some sort that connects them, Perhaps from a type 3 application? Shorter I guess. These look too tall to get into the Bus engine compartment, along with a Carb sitting on top.

auslander Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:23 am

Here's DRD's website http://www.drdracingheads.com/, it was 170 for the pair only because i wanted new valves and springs, the motorse going into my 67 westy, I got the manifolds off this site and they look alot taller in the pic than they really are

Mr. Twisted Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:01 am

Link doesn't work for some reason?

auslander Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:59 am

I let the comm in their its www.drdracingheads.com

Andrew Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:31 am

ldmooth wrote: These look too tall to get into the Bus engine compartment, along with a Carb sitting on top.

It depends on the aircleaner. I had them set up in my bus for a few days (didn't have time to tune them, so I pulled them back off), and it fits just fine with the carbs. But on the passenger side, if you've got the huge stock kad air filter, it won't fit with the braket for the stock air cleaner. If you've got the cool pod style air cleaners, then it should fit just fine. Guess which style I had...