TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: retractable front seat belt for 69 vert
wcfvw69 Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:27 pm

Where can you buy a set of retractable 3-point seat belts for a vert. I called BFY and they don't sell them.

Anyone had luck using a 3 point belt from a different brand of car?

Thanks in advance

Miguel Arroyo Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:35 am

Try: http://www.oeveedub.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr...ct_Count=2

Glenn Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:13 pm

Seat belts are not something to fool around with. You can try to take it apart, but make sure it still locks. Last thing you need is to have the belt not lock when you need it. I've seen a number of Beetles where the driver didn't have or wasn't wearing 3 point belts after they hit something. The seat mounts are usually torn from the floor and the steering wheel is broken from the drivers chest being pounded into it.

Also seat belts are designed to stretch, so after a accident or even a 360, the belts can stretch and need replacing.

20 years ago I did a 540 (1-/1/2 times around) and the belts stretched. I replaced them with 4 point belts. Also all racing belts have manufacture dates and all racing organizations require them to be replaced after a set amount of time.

For $90, it may be time to replace your 30+ year old belts anyway.

Think about it.

wcfvw69 Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:32 pm

Thanks very much for the link!!! I will call them. Mine are orignal 1969's and need to be retired, not to mention them being a pain in the a**.

Thank you to all for your feedback and info!

Miguel Arroyo Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:35 pm

Good luck and drive safely.

VwBeetl Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:07 pm

Thanks for the post about belts streching. I had no idea this was the case. I will immediately look for some new belts for my Bug too. So if anyone is successful in finding this type belt for a 69 convertible, please post it here!

tacky Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:37 pm

my apologies in advance if this sounds stupid.
what is the difference between a seat belt for a vert as opposed to a sedan? mounting location? i don't get it.

Miguel Arroyo Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:04 pm

tacky wrote: my apologies in advance if this sounds stupid.
what is the difference between a seat belt for a vert as opposed to a sedan? mounting location? i don't get it.

The sedan has the post between the windows to use as an attachment point ( one out of three). With the vert you have to use the area below the window in front of where the ashtray is.

tacky Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:02 am

i understand that mount, and the tunnel. i assume that the belts for a vert wil be shorter than a sedan because of that top mount being closer to the passenger. i hear the retractors won't be sufficient to pull up the extra length of belt for a sedan.
what about the floor mount? i can't even find a point down there. i had to put in new pans. anybody figured that one out? does it go on the floor or the curved piece below the rear pillar?