TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Safaris
boxonrails Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:16 am

Question. Who makes the best safari windows?
I decided to put safaris on my 65 standard and want the best.

Boxonwheel, I forgot the people you told me about on Sunday. Looking forward to BBB and would like to get the safaris for the trip across the Mojave. :D

lets here from you all.

Flipseat Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:30 am

All of them have their pros and cons that have been hashed out here plenty of times before. Do a search for "safari windows" and you'll get pages of good info. I'm really not trying to be an ass by telling you to do a search, but you'll get all the info you want a lot faster if you do.

papasmurf Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:47 am

I think that little factory in Germany made the best. :wink: I have some and they seem to work alright. They still leak though.

busboy Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:06 am

i think that they need to make one of these safari window posts like the how to lower your bus thread. where it just stays at the top. tht way it doesnt get asked sooo much. :D

vwspijlbus Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:20 am

I agree on busboy

RobzKombi Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:33 am

Doesn't really matter to me how many time a certain question comes up if they were to make them "stickies" then that's pretty much all we would have, a forum of "stickies".
To answere the question posted above, next to OG safaris I think Izzies windows are the best. Since I own a set from Iz my opinion is pretty much biased :wink: .

type2much Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:21 am

do Izzies hinge holes line up with the holes in an original safari bus? or do any other brands line up accurately?

RobzKombi Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:15 am

I beleive they (Izzie's) do line up, maybe I can go to the shop and check them out for you later this afternoon or tomorrow.

boxonwheel Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:51 pm

Dang guys 32 posts go easy on the new guy. Pulled him away from the type 1 and fatchick now he has a real bus. A 65 Standard with a FACTORY ragtop SWEET 8) Don't razz him to much.........YEt :P

Kenny, my 2 cents:
Never be in a hurry for stuff for the bus. That bus is sweet! Remember new Safaris you are going to have to weld and paint. First, you might call the guy you bought it from. Let him know you want Safaris. He should have paint that matches your bus. See what he recommends and see if he will install them aslo. Second, Patience young padawan :wink: Bring some $$$$ to BBB you might find some OG ones and that middle seat you need 8) Izzie was the one I was telling you about. Take your time you will find what you need.

23HOTVW Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:41 pm

kenny, safaris would look sweet in that bus :D

Chris Calderone Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:24 pm

the busboys brand I had in my factory safari bus matched up perfect with the original screw holes and over all fit perfect then I put in wolfsburg and they suck. 1/2 inch off on the screw holes and they arent even the same shape as the factory opening. They suck

boxonrails Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:27 pm

Thanks everyone. I am going to do it but as boxonwheel said I'll take my time and I want to share this photo of two buses with you all. the deluxe is a boxonwheel and the standarded is mine. I love those safaris Henry.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=101003

and a larger picture of the same thing.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=101005