TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil Light Flickering
Ollie W Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:35 am

Lately, when I come to stop, my oil light flickers for a second or so.
It's a been a bit colder, but barely freezing, so I don't think that's the problem.
If it's the oil pump, is there any way to tell which one I'll need. I've got a rebuilt engine with no numbers. It's single intake, probably a 1600.

Also, any tricks to removing/installing a pump?

Thanks,
Ollie

EvilBus Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:38 am

Ollie W wrote: Lately, when I come to stop, my oil light flickers for a second or so.
It's a been a bit colder, but barely freezing, so I don't think that's the problem.
If it's the oil pump, is there any way to tell which one I'll need. I've got a rebuilt engine with no numbers. It's single intake, probably a 1600.

Also, any tricks to removing/installing a pump?

Thanks,
Ollie

Please search on the Forums, there's numerous topics on this.

hazetguy Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:39 am

i don't want to sound like a jerk, but have you checked the oil level?
does it do it all the time, or before it is fully warmed up?
about what is the idle speed when it flickers, lower than when warmed up?
does it go out immediately upon stepping on the gas?

Ollie W Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:43 am

This all started about 3 weeks ago. Oil level is good and the engine doesn't leak. The light goes out immediately when I step on the gas or by itself.
Idles good and the gen light never goes on.

I'll search the old topics, sorry to rehash the topic.

Andrew Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:36 am

Next time it does it, go around back and touch your dipstick (engine on or off, doesn't matter). If it's burning hot, then your oil light is flickering because you're running too hot for one reason or another. This is common in the summer for me (freeway flyer transmission with a 1600), but never had it happen in the winter... If that's not the case, then I'd recommend seeing if you can borrow an oil pressure gauge from somebody and actually checking the oil pressure. It may just be a bad sender.

rusty57 Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:56 am

I just had the exact thing happen to me the first cold day i drove it. This used to happen with my beetle, and it was normally time to add oil. But, just like in your case, it's full and it goes out on its own or when i give it gas. What gives? It has to have something to do with the temperature. I sure hope it's that simple, because i don't want to tear into the engine.

iamdonquixote Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:57 am

you didn't answer hazet guys question though

does the light come on only after the engine is warm?

Ollie W Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:47 pm

It doesn't just happen when it's warm. The light seems to come on a bit more often in the first few minutes of driving.

truckersmike Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:36 pm

When an engine is hot and the light comes on when you are idling, it's usually an indication that the motor could use a rebuild. The bearings are probably getting too loose from too many miles on them. A good motor with good bearing should never do this. Also, when a motor is cold, it has higher than normal oil pressure until the oil warms up. I've blown off a remote oil filter because of this.

Lasse Mix Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:07 am

The original European manual tells us that this is normal at idle.

joemac Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:17 am

Take the bulb out. There, problem solved. :roll:
Eliminate the guesswork. Have the oil pressure checked. I wish I had a nickle for every oil pressure switch I've replaced.

Ollie W Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:03 pm

Thanks for all of the ideas.
I just talked to my mechanic and he's going to test the pressure for me.
The engine's strong and doesn't leak, so I hope it's okay.

Ollie

iamdonquixote Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:30 pm

good luck...

visibleink Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:19 pm

Please post when you find out, my westy does the same thing, but oddly it's always after coming to a stop going down a hill, there's just 2 places in my daily driving it does it.

In my other 71 Westy it would do this when it wasn't topped off and I needed to add a half quart. - but my current only does it as described above and only started in the past 30 days or so.

Buckly Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:01 pm

I've had VWs do the same thing to me before. Plenty of oil nice cool engine, I come of the freeway or down a hill and the oil light flickers. Since it stops on its own or with a little rev I let it go thinking the oil had got very well distributed throughout the engine and had to resettle in the sump so the sender knew it was there. However, I don't like it. There's a little voice that also tells me its the pump or something worse.
I guess an oil pressure gauge would be handy.
Installed an oil temp gauge in the new engine.(fun stuff, knowing your oil temp)

truckersmike Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:25 am

I used to get concerned when my 1904 with remote oil filter would cause the oil light to go on while driving. It turns out, that 1) I wasn't putting enough oil in it and 2) when the oil is cold and warming up, it doesn't like hard sudden turns or curves in the road. Now I take it easy around corners (mostly) and it hardly ever does it.