TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Where to get an original engine?
Ollie W Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:48 pm

So as a follow up to my earlier post regarding "Oil Light Flickering", if I need to rebuild my engine, I'd like to put an original in.

First off, what would have been the engine in a 61 dual cab? Were there two engines offered, the regular and the 1-ton?

Secondly, are there any places out there with complete engines of that vintage?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas,
Ollie

DaveM Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:03 pm

and the search is on! search here on the samba for the range of engine numbers you need and then start hounding everyone you know that has a collection of cases to go and search for one in that range. Then continue the search for nos and or good used parts. Consider it a long term project and take your time to learn and build up the parts. Never get short with patience when that one specific part is elusive cause eventually, it will come around.

In the mean time, find a semi good running motor, install it and go.

oh, your m-code plate will tell you what motor option if any you will require.

Miguel Arroyo Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:03 pm

This may take some time. According to my records starting in 54 they had an 1192cc rated at 30bhp at 3400rpm, in 59 they had an 1192cc rated at 34bhp at 3700rpm, in 1963 they went to 1497cc rated at 42bhp at 3800rpm, which increased in 65 to 44bhp at 4000rpm (same size engine).

I would start by quering the Samba to see if one is for sale. If not I would put a want add here. Another alternative would be to check on www.vintagebus.com or contacting various junkyards.

Good luck.