TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Set the Tivo: History Channel today at 9PM Eastern Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Terrett Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:50 pm

Full Throttle: 1967 VW Beetle: Teams turn old VW Beetles into drag racers.

Might be interesting :D

Miguel Arroyo Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:52 pm

Yes I cant wait. Here is link to tonights programing: http://www.historychannel.com/

croscoe Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:42 pm

The blank tape is awaiting. :)

gerg Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:45 pm

Tape - - what is that? Hahahahaah

DVR is anxiously awaiting . . I'm on it beeOTCH :twisted:

thevanillaninja Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:25 pm

or you could actually watch it.. like I'm doing now

abdon Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:32 pm

I started to watch it and just turned it off. All they are doing is installing a turn key Scat engine and a rancho tranny.

They have 8 hours to pull it off, not to mention the full blown shop to do it in. If they do it in the allowed time, they get to install a tach and a shifter.

I hoped they were going to build the bloody engine, or do some suspension mods, or maybe make the car lighter or something. As it is, anybody here can do that with a bucket full of rusty tools, a jack, and a few towers, and in the 8 hours allowed, without the use of a real shop.

Lame lame lame...

thevanillaninja Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:38 pm

well the team of dumbasses took 6 hours to get just the transmission in, and then the other team killed the distributor by hooking it up the wrong way.

and the guy said that in 1967 they switched to dual port heads, but well all know that it was 1971. kid needs to get his information straight!

vdubrida70 Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:04 pm

8 hours just to install a new tranny and engine????? jesus even im not that slow

croscoe Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:15 pm

at least they showed some wolfsburg footage.

bill may Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:19 pm

im gonna watch anyway cause they are 67's i wish they would let me go against both teams winner gets all 3 cars and a dash plac(i love dash plac's.)

Daniel G Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:24 pm

I was dissapopinted. I thought they were going to turn 2 pos Beetles into something, but all they did was swap the engines and trannies. :x

Daniel

OVERHAULIN67 Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:49 pm

Well being new to the VW scene I had no idea that 160hp would get that car down the track in 14 sec....I can't imagine what the 190-200hp motor I'm getting is going to do. The cops 0-60ft time was just over 1 sec....that to me was impressive.....I guess you could say the show was for guys like me who don't know squat about the bugs potential....it gave me a real boost...I'm in the middle of a 2 week total rebuild on a 67 bug.
For you guys and ladies tha know a good bit about bugs i can understand it being a disappointment....but it will bring a few more folks into the bug scene.

Terrett Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:16 pm

What wasn't to like...

Dual Weber Carbs
Drag racing
67 Cal Look Bugs
Vintage Volkswagen video footage
Old VW advertisements

I think it was a great show for VW fans. After watching the show, I am fighting the urge to order a Scat Turnkey and Rancho Transmission, install it in eight hours, and start popping wheelies :D

USMCbug Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:01 pm

I liked the show. I watch it often and was wondering when theyd do a few bugs. I wasnt expecting a total tear down at all since they usually just do a mild upgrade on the cars they race. Like the Datsun for example, all they did was change the cam, valve springs, intake, carb, exhaust manifold and new pipes. I was suprised they used Scat turnkeys. I liked the back ground segment. Good show. Next time its on Ill tape the beyatch.

vdubvr6 Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:27 pm

damn! when's it airing again??? i totaly forgot to call my buddy with the TIVO to record it! i hope he remebered. ](*,)

gerg Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:32 pm

I got a kick out of the guys kicking the trannys into place and trying to figure out the alignment of the axle tubes to the spring plates.

Nothing like watching newbs to remind you how much you have learned over time. . . .

I am actually watching it now and I like the historical parts much more . . too cool anytime the VW gets an hour of airtime!

Terrett Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:14 pm

Did you see the 'stereo installer' mechanics trying to install the engine with the dual carbs still on? Since the engine didn't fit, they determined the car must have previously gotten into an accident, so they grabbed a wrench and started 'making room' in the engine compartment. OUCH!

One other thing I noticed. On the second drag race, the 'stereo mechanics' should have left the belt off, would have increased horse power by 10. No worries of overheating in a quarter mile race.

vdubrida70 Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:14 pm

ahaha it even made me feel like i knew so much about bugs. that show made me feel like a veteran but it was REALLY funny how they both crossed wired and shorted out their distributors. i thought that was pretty funny. i woulda like to have seen them both run on those nice distributors but i guess we always dont get wut we want. it was also funny to see the faces on the young kid's faces when they saw wut car they were moding, they were like wtf. it was good show though. one of the 67's had dual qietpacks on the stock 1500

gerg Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:19 pm

Terrett wrote: Did you see the 'stereo installer' mechanics trying to install the engine with the dual carbs still on? Since the engine didn't fit, they determined the car must have previously gotten into an accident, so they grabbed a wrench and started 'making room' in the engine compartment. OUCH!

One other thing I noticed. On the second drag race, the 'stereo mechanics' should have left the belt off, would have increased horse power by 10. No worries of overheating in a quarter mile race.

Looked to me like they were bending the lower sheetmetal away from the valve covers - like there was minimal clearance. I'll have to lok at it again.

It was cool!

bill may Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:19 pm

and the "stock" distributers were 009's i would have shoved the 4 guys out of the way and gave them chairs to watch and done both and im 61 years old.