TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Importing to the uk
slammed 66 Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:51 pm

Has anyone out there got any idea how much it is to bring a bus to the u.k. from the u.s.? Merry Christmas by the way!!!!!!! :twisted:

adam beefcake bruno Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:18 am

I just sold my 15-window to guy in the Uk and he said it was about $3500 to ship a 40' container over-seas. But a 40' container can hold two buses, so shipping two would be much more cost effective. I think he said something about being $2200 to ship just one bus but I don't know about what means he was talking about.

John Lipscomb Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:28 am

Just for reference, the cost of shipping a 1 - 3 splitscreens from N.California (Port of Oakland) to Felixstowe, Tilbury or Hull in the
Uk. is $1150. each. This includes preparation of all documents,
clearance with US customs, loading into the container, delivery
to the port and the actual shipping and landing in the UK. There is
also a charge of about GBP 270 by the receiving agent in the UK
for unloading and clearance of the bus with customs in the UK.
Then there is the usual VAT charge. The tricky thing is to get a
bus that is what it's supposed to be.

Rob McGill Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:34 am

With bumpers removed, three buses will fit into a 40' container

Dwayne Pipe Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:50 am

It didn't take me very long to find the best price to ship from Seattle to the UK.

Carry out some searches in Google for freight companies. Most quotes I found were in the range of $1100 - $1300. However, to use a UK freight company was far more expensive costing in the region of £1200 - £1700!!

Try to ensure that delivery from purchase place to the harbour is included as well. Unless you are able to deliver it yourself.

I've also written some questions to numerous import related questions. Look here for details ==>
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95180

ojcutme2 Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:52 pm

I believe the normal VAT is 17.5% but you will be able to bring in as historical vehicle which i believe will make it 5%, not positive though. I have a good agent in the U.K. that can give you the details [email protected]
cost to ship:
LAX - Thamesport $1150.00
NYC - Felixstowe $975.00
Houston - Felixstowe $975.00
Miami - Felixsstowe $975.00

Also U.S. customs is now inforcing a law that you are not allowed to ship items inside the buses, so be careful. There are still shipping companies allowing this but if customs opens the container they can and will seize all items inside and levy a $20,000.00 usd fine.
Hope this helps
CFRLine.com