TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Yay or Nay? A question of heat.
crofty Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:13 pm

Has anyone used the NASA foil backed bubble insulation on the heater tube underneath the bus? I'm pondering such a mod but am worried about that holding in too much moisture.

Anyone out there done this?

faster-laster Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:18 pm

If you are talking about the stuff like available down at the local home improvement shop that is like you described then I can answer yes. A few weeks ago I tore off the existing insulation to re-wrap it with this stuff. I actually did a double wrap with the open ends pointing down so (hopefully) the moisture will have a chance to run out. Heat wise it made a huge difference. Only time will tell how it does w/ the moisture, but i'm betting it can't be much worse than 40 year old insulation.

Stitch Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:39 pm

I thought I heard that it was not a good idea for some reason? But I think it would work great! I am headed back to work now ( HOME DEPOT) and will look at the packaging and see if it gives any hints. If I did it I would also put the seams down and might even take it off after the cold season If worried about rust.

Old Volks Club Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:50 pm

sounds like a good idea..sean.
i'll probably do that too..?

bc59bus Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:11 pm

Off subject: Roscoe , are you going to BBB

Church Key Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:30 pm

Oh wow...I just tell everyone to wear a parka...hahahaaa!

Stitch Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:25 pm

Gilbert of our club took pics of his he did today...here is the link to the forum page
http://www.aaavwclub.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7782#7782

kintail Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:20 am

I also did my heater tube with this material and it improved the heat output a lot.

Having already replaced the heater tube once, how bad can this be compared to the stock insulation..... which did a darn fine job of rusting the old stock tube off.....

Since the Westfalia is put away in the winter, I expect my occasional use in the spring and fall will have little impact.... but the heat is appreciated when needed.....