TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: E-brake boot
johann_24 Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:19 pm

This is a stupid question, but a search was fruitless so bear with me. I'm trying to put a new e-brake boot on and the damn thing just won't get on there. The trouble is in clearing the two bolts sticking up. Is there something I should be doing to get the boot to stretch over them? Any help is appreciated.

Eric&Barb Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:51 pm

Hi johann_24,
Is this what you have?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111863341A

If so, then perhaps your E-brake cables have stretched and it is time for new ones or you need to replace the rear brake shoes or even worn our rear drums.
Eric&Barb

Glenn Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:55 pm

Eric&Barb wrote: If so, then perhaps your E-brake cables have stretched and it is time for new ones or you need to replace the rear brake shoes or even worn our rear drums.
Eric&Barb

On the nose.

Bill E. Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:56 pm

Could mean that the rear brake shoes are real thin.

Back them screws off some and adjust the stars on the brakes. Then tighten the screws until they are tight with the brake handle only part way up. There is a certain number of clicks that it should be adjusted to. If they still stick up too far maybe new shoes are in order. If the drums are worn out maybe some washers under the e-brake cable guide tubes, at the rear of the car, would do the trick.

johann_24 Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. That works out well since I'm going to be doing a front disc conversion and replace the rear brakes pretty soon. Thanks guys!

berniedd1 Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:25 pm

Correct adjustment for the e brake is by the 4th click, the rear wheels should be impossible to turn by hand.