TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: reduction boxes
baja bubba Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:38 pm

i am on my fourth baja now but a first encounter with gear reduction boxes and do not like them other than for the added clearance in back , does any one know if i would be able to remove the actual reduction gear in the box to disable the gear box itself and use the standard (higher) forth gear from the trans and maintain the boxes in place for the clearance . i do not like the high revs and lower top speed as drive it on the hiway as well as off road . if you can please HELP.......... :? :?

gerg Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:25 pm

Dam . . can't begin to imagine how . . you may post in the Splitty forum .. .

k29349@yahoo Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:26 pm

Put 35 inch tires on the back and it will be perfect. You can not disable the boxes without removing them altogether.

GjMan Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:29 pm

I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do. You can't even convert to regular axles without modifying the tranny, as the gear-reduction set-up uses a flopped ring gear. You'd get the most ground clearance by converting to an IRS configuration.

chillz1 Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:27 pm

baja bubba wrote: i am on my fourth baja now but a first encounter with gear reduction boxes and do not like them other than for the added clearance in back , does any one know if i would be able to remove the actual reduction gear in the box to disable the gear box itself and use the standard (higher) forth gear from the trans and maintain the boxes in place for the clearance . i do not like the high revs and lower top speed as drive it on the hiway as well as off road . if you can please HELP.......... :? :?

I'm sure it's possible, with some sort of custom machined/made gears and idlers, but it will be quite expensive and not worth it, IMHO. Your best (and most economical) bet is to leave the reduction boxes alone and have a freeway-flyer ring and pinion set installed in your tranny. This will take away some off-idle torque, but will take the bite out of your freeway "over-revving" problem. If you chose this avenue, remember to tell your transaxle builder that you're running reduction boxes, as this calls for the ring and pinion to be "flipped", opposite of the regular beetle/non-reduction-box tranny.

undwirtanzten Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:12 am

how about....sell me the gear boxes and use the excess money to buy bigger tires. i have been searching for gear reduction boxes unsuccessfully and really really really want them......you'll end up spending more money on someone engineering a solution than you spend on a rear end lift and then you'd still have to pay to have the boxes altered.......