TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: SO-34 / SO-35 westy questions
dieselnut Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:39 pm

Doing some research on flipseat westys, have searched the forum archives and the VB list archives, but still have the following questions:

Did they originally come w/ toilets? If so, did they have wood finished seats or black seats? Were the toilets standard or an option?

Are the larger aluminum glasses the same size as in the so23? (I read in the VB archives that there are markings on the 34/35 cups - what do they say?)

Did they originally come w/ stoves? (Enders 9065D, 9065, or ?????)
Standard or optional?

Were the folding chairs an option? If they had chairs, was it one or two?

Were the cargo door cabinets an option?

I recall seeing a photo of a wash basin in the so34 or so35 cabinet door, i believe it was in the factory sales pamplet. Is this the same basin as the so23?

Are there different tent poles for the foyer (small) tent, or do they use the poles from the privy (large) tent?

*whew* tia!

Eric&Barb Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:52 pm

Hi Dieselnut,
Toilet was an option.
Larger glasses.
Stove optional.
Chair either came with your Westie or did not, depending if you had the clamp hole in front of the closet.
Door cabinet was standard.
Wash basin same as used in SO-23.
Completely differant poles.
Do you have a SO-34 or 35?
Eric&Barb

dieselnut Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:36 pm

Hi Eric & Barb,

Thanks for the info., much appreciated!

I've read on the VB list that you guys have the flipseat registry compiled, correct? How many so34's are on it, and how many so35's? Can you share any details about the number that came w/ certain options, etc.? (I used to be a researcher...lol)

I'm not a flipseat owner yet, but hope to become one in the coming year. Do you know of any that are for sale?

I thought long and hard about the one for sale in Texas earlier this year, the one that Lind bought. I'm also the guy that came close to owning the so35 on the VB list recently... Although I prefer the look of the 34's, the 35's are just too cool... If and when I get one, I'll send you the details.

So what's the scoop on the tumblers? Do they say SO34 or SO35 on the bottom? :lol: (To clarify, the flipseat tumblers are bigger, correct?)

Was the option for one folding chair or two?

Thanks, John

Eric&Barb Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:41 pm

Hi John,
We have only been able to collect M code data on 12 of these Westies so far! Plus need to learn how to setup a website.....
We do know where there is a solid very early 1961 SO-34 with no interior that could be bought before it gets crushed. Pmail us if you are interested.
SO-34 & 35 tumblers are much bigger, but can not find our image of the bottom of one right now.
As a norm they came with only one folding chair, but as always with Westfalia just about anything could be ordered.
Eric&Barb