TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help me re-design my bug!
spooky65 Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:22 pm

Heres the deal. Ive got a 65 beetle that I have had about 6 years. I did a partial restoration on it about a year after taking possesion of it. The colors on it now is dodge viper blue and pearl white . These colors have been on it about 5 years and have gotten old. I also have empi five spokes which I like but may conflict with the look I am going for. I want to go with a old school look with a earth tone color complete with rear fender skirts which I dont know if that would match up with empis. Unfortunatly I bought a new scat interior kit about a year and a half ago to go with the current paint job. Unfortunatly its white. I am thinking about dyeing it even though I know thats not the best route to go. I would like to hear from you guys some ideas on color combos and tire and wheel combos. Ive got my original smoothie rims and I am thinking about getting135s for frt and165sfor rear with white wall inserts.The link included is a pic of my bug in its current state.
http://www.geocities.com/dontbeyabeyatch/news.html?1104785945078

Kelley Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:59 pm

The whitewalls would be cool. This link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php has original color codes and samples of interiors for the period. Instead of going for an earthtone, why not go "old-school"?

spooky65 Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:23 pm

Well by earthtones I meant colors like or similar to originals like beige, green, and some of the reds. I what to get away from the bright colors. Im glad to see people from Georgia are in this forum to. Seems like im one of the only VW enthusiast in Central Georgia sometimes. Thanks for the link to the colors. So intresting prospects on that page.

Kelley Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:21 pm

Actually, some of the older model colors might be up your alley, those browns and bieges from 54-55 may suit what you're looking for, or the alabaster from 59-60. Finish it off with that white interior and whitewalls. What color steering wheel and shift knob?

nevadajh Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:33 pm

Skirts with Empis

Kelley Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:13 pm

Not bad. I cant tell, skirts painted the same color as the car?

spooky65 Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:40 pm

Those Empis look great with those skirts! Now I wonder about the white walls. I checked out some colors on that chart. Alabaster,reed green and ultramaroon are all good looking colors as are some other colors on that page. I still feel like I got to get rid of this white interior regardless what exterior color I go with. Its bright white which I actually liked a couple years ago. I guess I have matured in my taste a little. I am probably going to dye it with 3m vinyl dye which I have had some sucess with in the past. It will be temporary until I can afford to get everything reupholstered in cloth. I think a camel beige will go with just about all the vintage colors that I like. Suggestions?

spooky65 Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:57 pm

navadajh...I checked out your gallery to see if you had anymore pics of bugs with skirts and came across this bug that has a beautiful shade of muddy red that I have got to have. Is this coral red? that bug is very nice.Yours? I hope you dont mind me giving the link to your gallery page but its a link to the bug Im asking about.Thanks. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=101239

bill may Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:38 pm

that is Texas Brown!! stock color , and you cant get any more earthy than that. L221 i think is code.

spooky65 Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:47 am

Thanks! I never thought I would like brown but it just looks right on that bug and is a little different than all the easter egg colors im used to seeing.

joemac Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:33 am

If your interior is vinyl, you can dye it a different colour.
The Eastwood Company sells some really good vinyl dye. It actually penetrates the outer surface of the vinyl, instead of sitting on top, like paint.

spooky65 Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:34 pm

Thanks. I will have to check Eastwood out.PPG sells a good vinyl dye that they claim penetrates but I have seen it roll off in stress areas. Possibly due to the vinyl being coated in armor-all in the past. My seats are brand new still wrapped in plastic and I plan on cleaning them well will ppgdx330 wax and grease remover. Thanks for the tip on Eastwood.

craigt-from-atl Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:36 pm

spooky65 wrote: Im glad to see people from Georgia are in this forum to. Seems like im one of the only VW enthusiast in Central Georgia sometimes.

I'm here too. :) Just don't have my beetle yet. Looking this weekend at one.

spooky65 Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:29 pm

Goodluck! Nothing like owning a volkswagen. I own the 65 bug and im also restoring a 65 splitty. I hope to make some of the shows this year. To bad theres not many in the southeast.